1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

150mm f2.0 manual focus issue

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by pixelvandal, Oct 13, 2016.

1. pixelvandal

pixelvandal Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    Gold Coast - Australia
    Pavel
    Has anyone ever heard of an issue with this lens where manual focus simply doesnt work? as though its just not connected to the gearing? is this something that could be fixed? or if it's happened to anyone in the past would they know a rough price? would this even be able to get repaired?

2. alex g

alex g Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    I did recently see a 150 f/2 listed on fleabay as being in excellent condition apart from having non-op manual focus. I'm afraid I can't offer any advice as how to go about addressing the problem, but I can confirm the existence of at least one case aside from yours. Unless you happen to have purchased that particular lens, of course.

My guess is that it would be worth contacting Olympus for a quote — I'd be very surprised if they turned round and told you they couldn't fix it because their entire range of four-thirds lenses is still available from their current product list.

3. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    In the USA the flat rate repair price is $315 for that lens which has a list price from Olympus of $2500, if that is any help.

As to a mechanical coupling, that lens is not a SWD lens so it is focus by wire. Meaning, in manual mode, turning the focus ring only communicates to the lens motor to move the lens. there is no direct link between the ring and the focus mechanism. However that ring may have had its electronics fail or a wire came loose or some such. I am guessing it would likely be an easy repair, but still a pricey one.

4. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Yeah that sounds exactly like the kind of thing that would be something totally trivial like a tiny corner of a bit of flat flex coming loose.