1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

$150 refurb Acer 11.6" Chromebook, 8+-hour battery life (Haswell processor)

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Amin Sabet, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Capture01

Capture01 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 24, 2013
    i'v no experience with chromebooks. but for this price and specs i think it's worth a shot. it's with free shipping too! just to add. good deal.

3. rpress

rpress Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2010
    Nice deal, I just ordered one. I plan to put Linux on it.

Thanks!

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Tempted for Linux, but the RAM is soldered in. Not sure I want to go back to 2GB RAM.

5. rpress

rpress Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2010
    Ubuntu Linux works fine on 2GB, that's what my old netbook had, as long as the drive is decently fast. This one has a M.2 SSD, so I hope so.

But if you want to run multiple virtual machines it will be pretty limiting. Occasional use of a Win7 VM (with 1 GB) would work ok I think; that's what I plan to do.

6. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    Can this do any kind of image review from images on sd card? Looks like it has a USB 3 port, so could use an external drive. Perhaps for use while traveling, to back up images? Not looking to finish images, just review, perhaps delete rejects, etc.

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    This little fella sees more use than my Macbook Air mainly because it feels less precious to throw in a bag and fits in places the 13" Air won't go. It's also a great little notebook to leave around the den/kitchen as an extra web browser.

8. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Running a VM on a 1.4GHZ Celeron? I can't imagine performance being pleasant, even with 4GB RAM. Then again, I suppose that'll be a problem for anything you throw at it - it has basically the performance of a 7-year old computer.

9. rpress

rpress Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2010
    I'm not sure if you've tried any Haswell processors (especially the lower-end ones), but the GHz is not all that matters. Over the years they have taken a different approach than AMD, and they've made their processors more efficient for the speed, versus just adding cores and GHz.

All my computers are Haswell, from my Celeron G3220, my i3-3220, to my i7-4500U. While the G3220 is 3.0 GHz, at half the speed it would still be plenty fast.

That said, I've never tried a 1.4 GHz Haswell. In about a week I'll let you know how it goes. :biggrin:

10. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    I've never really considered a Chromebook before, can you put Linux on them?

I've been thinking of getting something like this for traveling places I don't want to bring an expensive Macbook. It could be perfect for backing up photos (external drive), email, and basic web browsing. I guess I could do all that on the ChromeOS also, but it'd be nice to know a more flexible and powerful OS is available.

11. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
  12. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Okay, I may have been a bit unfair - the CPU looks like it's about 10% faster than my 2007-era Thinkpad (2.6GHZ Core 2 Duo) judging by the GeekBench results. But I'm not exactly impressed.

I agree that Intel's been wringing more IPC out of their designs over time, but 1.4GHZ is still a pretty low clock (and there's no Turbo Boost to raise it during CPU intensive stuff).

At any rate, at $150, it's sort of hard to complain, but I just can't imagine doing anything more CPU intensive than web-browsing on it.

13. LoneRider

LoneRider Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2014
    Marysville, WA.
    Wayne
    How would a Chromebook compare to a Windows 7 Netbook? I like the idea of a cheap computer for trips to serve for email, web, and store pictures and videos but am put off by the sluggish slow performance of me Acer Netbook with 2GB ram running Windows.

I use a MacBook Pro 13" Retina at home and am leery to take it on the road.

14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Wayne, a Chromebook is downright speedy for email and web. It will feel faster than your netbook if your netbook uses a spinning hard drive rather than an SSD. You can't store pictures and videos on it, or at least it isn't made for that, but it's a good way to view pictures and videos that are on the web.

15. LoneRider

LoneRider Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2014
    Marysville, WA.
    Wayne
    But can you use it to transfer data to an external hard drive? It seems to have two usb ports, a card reader on one and a HD on the other? Yes, my Netbook has a 320GB spinning HD, but it is painfully slow to start up and do anything thing with. On the road all I really use it for is email, web, and storage. Carrying a small external HD would not be a problem.

16. rpress

rpress Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2010
  17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm pretty sure that would work, but I've never tried it.

18. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    How has this Chrome OS been with viruses/malware? Pretty free of it or...?

19. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Bit of a rant:
    While I have an android phone which I love, Im not so impressed with chromebooks. For 150 bux, you cant complain much but they are still niche "media consumption" device. I dont even consider Android tablets to be more than niche devices. Same for iPads. IMHO, one is better off with a Windows 8 tablet, which would run you about the same and most come with Office preinstalled. You can run any x86 you'd like on them. Some even come with a keyboard dock, or you can pickup a bluetooth keyboard + mouse combo for cheap. Asus just release an 8in Windows 8.1 tab with a Wacom digitizer for 350 bux.

I still have a an old HP Mini 5101 netbook, with an Intel Atom n280, 64gb SSD and 2GB of RAM, running Windows 7. I bought it used for 200 bux 4 years ago. Its perfect for web browsing and running Office suite. When it dies, I'll replace it with a Window 8 tablet....no Android tablet, chromebooks, or iPads for me.

20. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    No OS is guaranteed virus-free, but Chrome OS is as good as it gets in this regard.

• Like Like x 1