150 - 400 f4.5 DELAYED HIGHER DEMAND THAN EXPECTED

ColoPhotoGirl

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Lonnie
Have you placed an order, or still saving up? As far as I have been told by people in the know, some folks will be getting their lens as soon as this Friday.
I ordered it the first day of pre-order. I was told their would be only 20 units for the US in January. My guess at only 20 units a month I would hopefully it mine in 4th quarte.

ColoPhotoGirl

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Lonnie
Or more of a concern to me is weather they will produce to the same quality system and standards. Copy to copy variation from what I see in the forums is too great as it is so I hope they keep the same quality systems already in place.
I do not know for sure but I would expect them to use the same builders as Olympus. Changing manufacturers would not make sense this close to the launch.

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Last edited:

hoodlum

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It's the current one on the 43rumors site today, Jan.27, 2021 just that it's in Japanese. https://www.43rumors.com/olympus-ja...00mm-pro-orders-will-ship-out-in-spring-only/

It's been delayed so many times as it is. Might be same news release for 2022 too, but still copy/pasted and dated 2020. :hide:

Could be Sigma is waitng for a gallon of "Olympus White" spray paint. :hiding:

I guess 43rumors could repost the same old Olympus link weekly. I would not consider this as an update from Olympus.

ColoPhotoGirl

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Lonnie

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku
It seems there is no hope of getting the lens faster.

"M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 150-400mm F4.5 TC1.25x IS PRO About supply shortage

• Not meeting demand does not mean that there is a problem
  • The number of products produced per day is limited and cannot be delivered.
  • I want to make it clear that there is no quality problem
  • There is a high demand for individual parts only for lenses that contain 28 lenses in 18 groups and that support a focal length of up to 1000 mm in the 35 mm equivalent.
  • A lens that is extremely severe, such as the optical axis, takes time to make parts, and the adjustment process is strict, and structurally requires extremely high precision.
  • It’s a flagship lens so you can’t compromise on quality
  • Therefore, the amount of lenses that can be made in a day is limited.
  • We are steadily producing the fixed amount, so if you wait, you can be sure to get it, and we can promise to deliver good quality products.
  • I can’t increase production right now, so I hope you can wait.
150-400mm Message from the development team

• “M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 150-400mm F4.5 TC1.25x IS PRO” is not only a lens with high specs, but also a lens that the development team is very particular about.
  • I’m wondering about 1000mm and the 8-step effect of camera shake correction, but I’m developing it with great attention to operability.
  • It’s really adjusted in millimeters, so please pick it up and feel the particularity of that area."
https://www.43rumors.com/om-digital...ing-flagship-model-will-be-announced-in-2021/

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
Even though the supply shortage is a bummer for sure, the reason due to higher order numbers than expected, is not a bad thing in my opinion. I think it's no surprise they aren't able to ramp up production values for such a low number, high-cost and highly precise product and their statement regarding high demand for product quality is also welcome. It would be quite a PR disaster, if this lens would suffer greatly from copy-to-copy variations with maybe even some samples suffering from obvious quality issues. That's something which is already questionable in the medium and higher priced segment, but for such an high-end flagship lens, it's just out of the question.

ColoPhotoGirl

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Lonnie
I will fell blessed if I receive my lens by the end of the year. I ordered it on the first day of releas.

kenez

Mu-43 Regular
As a public service announcement I just got my shipping notice today for my 150-400. I ordered it the first day it was available for sale, November 17th, so basically a five month wait. Looking forward to trying it out!

Dave Black

Mu-43 Regular
I got my 150-400/4.5 lens this past Saturday. I pre-ordered through my local camera store on the day of the announcement. I am really enjoying this lens this past three days.

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
I got my 150-400/4.5 lens this past Saturday. I pre-ordered through my local camera store on the day of the announcement. I am really enjoying this lens this past three days.

* heads to image sample thread.

* can't find any photo's.

* starts tapping foot impatiently and looking suggestively at watch !!!!!

moonhawk

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Dave Cherry
I just found and read this thread. Hilarious reading the original snarky comments from back in November, and later. I ordered from B&H as soon as I heard it was up for pre-order on November 17. Got mine on Wednesday.

So maybe I was number 10, and they only made 6 in that first batch, and mine was the second batch. Hmmmmmm...

Don't give up hope, @ColoPhotoGirl Girl. You may get yours sooner than you think. I hope so. It's awesome.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom