14th Mu-43 Salon Competition - Peace and Tranquility

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by woof, Nov 1, 2012.

1. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    14th Mu-43 Salon Competition - Peace and Tranquility

Like krugorg on the 13th, I struggled a bit coming up with an idea for the 14th Salon competition, but then I reread his thread and he said "when all else fails, go with something you like to view!"

I live in the Litchfiled Hills of Connecticut. I just went through Sandy. No laughing matter. Power was down from Monday 6PM through last night 2AM. No picnic. And it may go down again to complete the work.

Anyway, after a rather hectic, frenetic 5 days including the weekend run-up to the storm, I am looking for some "Peace and Tranquility.

Of course this is Salon is open to wide interpretation. This could be a portrait, a landscape - in short, anything that you think represents or embodies peace and tranquility. I am attaching a recent that I think works for this theme. Of course this shot is not in the running, it is just an example.

Feel free to pull something from your image archive, but as always we are hoping that this is a good excuse to go out and capture something new.

Competition ends Sunday, November 18th
    --------------------------------------------------------

The Rules:

1. Either take a picture that matches the nominated theme or select one from your portfolio. You must be the photographer that created the picture in order to enter it.

2. Shots can be uploaded from any gallery, Mu43 or whatever is your preference.

3. To enter your photo after uploading, copy the code in the Linked Image box and paste it into a reply to to this message. You can use the Quick Reply box at the bottom of this page.

4. Only one entry per salon, please. If you want to withdraw an entry and replace it with another, that is OK, but you must make it clear in the post containing your replacement picture that this is what you intend doing.

5. The decision of the curator at the end of the challenge is final - don't give him a hard time about it: this is just a friendly photo challenge, after all!

6. The person who submitted the chosen picture will assume the responsibility of curator and as soon as possible post a message in a new thread in the Mu-43 Contests and Challenges forum, with details of the new theme. That opening message must include a copy of these instructions, which also double as the rules.

7. The curator can't enter his or her own salon.

8. Please, don´t be shy...Participate and have fun.

9. Each salon should be open for about two weeks.

Example for "Peace and tranquility"

p1211505680-5.

• Like Like x 12
  2. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    WTH! You just might already have the winner in this theme! :eek:

:wink:

3. scarbrd

scarbrd Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Protected

Not sure if this fits, but I see tranquility under the protection of the rainbow.

protected.

• Like Like x 12
  4. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    • Like Like x 7
  5. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    This might be an odd take on the theme, but sitting down in a coffee shop and just forgetting about my worries and listening to laughter, observing people going on with their lives and dreaming up their stories, or just watching the world go by and remembering how wonderful life is, is heaven to me.

7505312752_b4238c7fe6_c.
    Morning coffee by Kelly Gibbons, on Flickr

• Like Like x 5
  6. rhoydotp

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    yes! :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  7. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
  8. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    • Like Like x 6
  9. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    All good interpretations... Thank you! Keep them coming... KVG... Rhoydotp, very inventive - good oob thinking. Tanngrisnir3, just gorgeous. Scarbrd, WOW. Luke... I'm with you! Hyubie, heh... thanks!

woof!

• Like Like x 2
  10. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    This one was shot on 17th June this year to the north of my university in the city where I live, after graduated I never stopped thinking of getting back there and breathe like I did before. It's a crowded city I'm living in, and there are very few places I can find feels quite like this.

P10608281.

Camera Manufacturer: Panasonic
    Camera Model: DMC-GF3
    :
    Exposure time : 1/320
    F-Number: 6.3
    ISO speed ratings: 160
    Date taken: 2012:06:16 17:36:13
    Max aperture: F3.5
    Metering mode: Multi-segment (5)
    Flash: No flash
    Focal length [mm]: 14
    Focal length (35mm): 28

• Like Like x 2
  11. mkee

mkee Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2012
    Long Beach CA
    From my vacation this summer to Alaska.

[​IMG]"1024" height="768" alt="P7010465"></a>[/IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  12. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    Taken last evening with my OM-D and an ancient Tamron 300mm f/5.6 (pre-SP), hand held. It's a lot easier to hand hold than my Canon FD 85-300 f/4.5! So I take it to the lake often. $40 lens but I think it's okay, with zero flare pointed into the sun.

image-2186112149.

No time to edit this, so it's uncropped and just a jpeg exported from the RAW file. It was a very tranquil evening. I was also having fun shooting young couples walking or sitting as it has been a warm autumn, thus far.

• Like Like x 2
  13. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  14. sac

sac Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2012
    Vic, Australia
    Steven
    • Like Like x 2
  15. rhoydotp

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    let's give this a bit of a bump to see more images :smile:

16. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Closed. judging to follow this eventing. Thanks for your participation

17. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Thanks for all that participated. I wish there had been more, but none of that is a reflection on any of you. Hard choices here for me. Here are my top three in keeping with folks in past.

Third: jyc860923 So close in so many ways to the one I posted. Beautiful. My biggest issue with this photo is that there is no point of focus for me. On the other hand it is a beautiful idyllic and tranquil scene, and you definitely get the "hit the spec" perfectly award...

P10608281.

Second: tanngrisnir3. I like this very much. Something about it really is quite tranquil, and this is a bit of a surprise since tranquility so often has to do with water. Perhaps the fog grandfather's it in... I do love mornings like this. I'd have loved to have explored that scene a bit more. To me the lack of detail and even loss of focus... it sort of trails unremarkable into the fog are all things that actually draw me in. If you did explore this more, I'd invite you to throw up a few of those frames in this thread.

7609517672_ea59661519_b.

First: Scarbrd: Love it. I get passing storm from this, and it's leaving tranquility in it's wake. I sort of started this thread with something like that in mind. Had just gone through the hurricane and was looking for some peace. This is beautiful.

protected.

Others:

rhoydotp: Out of the box thinking is a great thing. Does not work perfectly for me, but the photo is a good one, and I wanted to recognize that.

KVG: Also out of the box. Good one. Nice tones. The disembodied head freaks mo out a little... :biggrin:

Luke: I am with you on this one. not enough recognizable detail for me. I'd never have worked out that it was a boat probably. Not a criticism, just me... good idea.

mkee: I enjoy kayaking and canoeing very much myself, and this is indeed a very tranquil scene. It might have netted a place in the top three but for the somewhat blown highlights... no worries, it's a nice shot and gets "tranquility" perfectly for me. Only a technicality kept this from placing... :smile:

macalterego: Nice. Love the colors. Reminds me of any number of tidal ponds that I know here along the east coast. Late in the day, very tranquil indeed.

fin azvandi: Nice shot. Again, a technicality. the scene overall is tranquil, but the photo is o dominated by the stone that it does not embody tranquility so much as, say, "solidity..." Can't quite summon it, but like that. Love the sharpness of the rock and hallow depth of field. Most folks would have tried for sharp throughout. Subtle subject isolation works well here.

sac: Serenity in a word. Well done. I have never been able to do this without blowing highlights on the bird. Very nice.

Thanks all. Again, my preferences and I always come to... 'Who am I to judge?" I appreciate your participation very much. Kind regards,

Seaain

• Like Like x 5
  18. scarbrd

scarbrd Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Thanks Seeain!! And thanks for all the "thanks"

I'm honored.

I'll post up a new challenge in the next couple of days.

19. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Thanks Seeain and congrats scarbrd, and tanngrisnir3!

this is the first time ever I've been so close, and your opinion is so pertinent to the image.

look forward to the next challenge scarbrd :p

20. lubov

lubov Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 4, 2011
    • Like Like x 1