1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

14mm to 9.3mm by using Photomerge

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by GShooter, Nov 18, 2011.

1. GShooter

GShooter Mu-43 Regular

I hope I am not teaching the proverbial to suck eggs, but I thought this may be worth sharing.
    As a landscape photographer I occasionally want a wider angle lens than my 14-45, but both the 7-14 and 9-18 are way too expensive for just using now and again, so I came up with the idea of turning the camera round to portrait mode, taking six images as for photomerge, and merging them in photoshop. I then crop to 3x2 using the full depth of the image, the result is the equivalent of using a 9.3mm lens.
    Here are 2 images using the 14mm lens as normal and the photomerged image.

Attached Files:

2. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    That came out nicely. I have hit-or-miss luck with panoramas generally. Oftentimes I'll see merge errors where the horizon or some other hard line has a tilt to it, or I screw up by not shooting straight enough and end up with an image that I have to crop a lot of the crooked corners out, or I forget to set the camera to a fixed exposure (although pano software does a good job fixing that these days).

Nice job, and nice picture!

3. GShooter

GShooter Mu-43 Regular

The trick is to have the camera on a sturdy tripod, set the exposure and focus on manual, and overlap each frame by about 1/3. I just let Photomerge do its own thing and it seems to work out ok. The demo pictures were not taken in good light but this evening was better so I did exactly the same thing again. Magic.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    I think I like the first shot in the haze better. The fog really adds a lot of atmosphere to the picture in the way it obscures the buildings on the far side of the shore.