14mm to 9.3mm by using Photomerge

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by GShooter, Nov 18, 2011.

1. GShooter

GShooter Mu-43 Regular

I hope I am not teaching the proverbial to suck eggs, but I thought this may be worth sharing.
    As a landscape photographer I occasionally want a wider angle lens than my 14-45, but both the 7-14 and 9-18 are way too expensive for just using now and again, so I came up with the idea of turning the camera round to portrait mode, taking six images as for photomerge, and merging them in photoshop. I then crop to 3x2 using the full depth of the image, the result is the equivalent of using a 9.3mm lens.
    Here are 2 images using the 14mm lens as normal and the photomerged image.

Attached Files:

2. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    That came out nicely. I have hit-or-miss luck with panoramas generally. Oftentimes I'll see merge errors where the horizon or some other hard line has a tilt to it, or I screw up by not shooting straight enough and end up with an image that I have to crop a lot of the crooked corners out, or I forget to set the camera to a fixed exposure (although pano software does a good job fixing that these days).

Nice job, and nice picture!

3. GShooter

GShooter Mu-43 Regular

The trick is to have the camera on a sturdy tripod, set the exposure and focus on manual, and overlap each frame by about 1/3. I just let Photomerge do its own thing and it seems to work out ok. The demo pictures were not taken in good light but this evening was better so I did exactly the same thing again. Magic.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    I think I like the first shot in the haze better. The fog really adds a lot of atmosphere to the picture in the way it obscures the buildings on the far side of the shore.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.