1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

14mm and 25mm filter questions...

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by riponfrosh, Mar 26, 2013.

1. riponfrosh

riponfrosh Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2013
    Hey everybody! I just ordered a 14mm pancake and the 25mm panasonic/leica lens. I'm looking to pick up some ND filters and was wondering if anyone has had any vignetting problems with stacking filters. I'm looking to get a 10 stop B&W, but I'm also thinking about possibly two 0.9 filters, or possibly a 0.6 and a 0.9. giving me some options. I was going to go with a variable filter, but most seem to have crap reviews.

So, my question is, anyone successfully (or unsuccessfully) stack 2 or possibly even 3 filters without side-effects on either of these lenses?

Thanks!

2. rolling green

rolling green Mu-43 Regular

Dec 31, 2012
    city of chi
    I have the 14 and 25. As you can see from the picture below, just the hood I have no vignetting yet when I add a uv filter and then put the hood on it starts to vignette. So I believe you should be fine stacking at least 2 and most likely 3 filters. Haven't tested this combo with the 25 but ill try tonight and let you know

3. riponfrosh

riponfrosh Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2013
    Thanks for the info! Yes, if you could check out the 25mm as well that would be awesome! I have the lenses on the way, really want to get the filters on their way right away too. I can't wait to get to snappin' some photos with this baby!

4. rolling green

rolling green Mu-43 Regular

Dec 31, 2012
    city of chi
    One thing to consider is the hood is barely wider than the filter. I say roughly 1mm total in diameter. But I think you'll be fine. Just tested with the 25mm and there's a little more wiggle room before vignetting compared to the 14mm. I'm able to sneak a filter in but 2 filters+hood is no good.

5. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    You won't have trouble with either. The 14 front element is tiny compared to the filter threads and the 25 is too narrow an FoV to vignette even with a tall filter stack.

6. riponfrosh

riponfrosh Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2013
    Sounds good! That's what I needed to know. Thank you all!