14mm, 20mm or just simply wait?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by SrPantuflas, Nov 17, 2013.

1. SrPantuflas

SrPantuflas Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2013
    Chile, South America.
    Hi

Christmas is coming and i'm thinking of doing a nice present.. to myself hahaha.

i use a GX1 + 14-42 PZ, also Canon FD lenses with an adaptor,
    i like the small size of the PZ, and i've noticed in Lightroom that i use the 14mm in 50% of my shots, 17mm is 2nd place on the ranking.
    so...

is really a good idea to buy an P14 having already the PZ? ($199 in newegg right now) or just GAS?
    or i should go for an used P20? (i don't have a big budget for photography at the moment) :frown:

in other side maybe i should just start saving money. The PanaLeica 15mm is coming next year, looks small and i hope to be similar to the PL25mm in quality, or go for O17 1.8

2. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    Definitely wait for 15mm IMO.

3. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    20mm is best buy for you right now. 15mm will be much more expensive and it is significantly larger. 20mm is unbeatable if you want most compact package with best quality.
    Unless you are really sure you like the wider view, then maybe 14mm :smile:

4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Concluding that 14 mm is best from the 14-42 may be a fallacy as there tends to be a bias towards the two extreme ends of zoom lenses for most people. I was only confident of my liking of 28 mm equivalent FoV as I noticed myself favouring it on a zoom that goes to 24 mm equivalent. It's best if you can actually try each focal length out.

Also, f/2.5 versus f/3.5 at 14 mm is significant, but not radically different compared to the other f/1.7 and f/1.8 moderate wide angles. If this is to be your only fast prime, I would suggest something faster. Your PZ is already a pancake, so the compactness of the P14 is not really going to be much of an advantage.

The O17 f/1.8 has faster AF, and great MF and DoF controls. It also matches your second most favoured FoV.

The P20 is the sharpest of the lot (don't know about the new PL15 yet), but known to be a bit of a slow focuser by today's standards. Since you've got a Panasonic body it won't be as bad, but I recommend you try one to see whether you are okay with it. It's almost a normal though - the FoV is quite different.

I'd say if you were confident of the wider FoV, wait and evaluate the PL15. It's likely to be of similar price to the PL25 I'm guessing as it's designed to go with the GM1. If you can accept the P20 FoV and AF speed, it's the best value.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
  6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Sigma 19 or 30, if you're into covering the same focal range. Your pz gives you a small flat lens, and since you say your budget is quite limited, get one of the earlier (non-ART) sigmas for around $130.

7. SrPantuflas

May 26, 2013
    Chile, South America.
    thanks a lot guys!

i'll check if I a get a nice deal on a 20mm, i really dig the small lenses and is the reason that i choose m4/3

otherwise i'll be saving for the possible 15mm if i see that the price is lower than the RRP of the 25mm.
    a cheap sigma is a nice idea too.

If only the Samyang were rectilinear... :118: still, is a cool lens and i'll probably have it after buying a wide-ish prime.

8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    If you don't need really fast autofocus, the 20mm is an outstanding lens. I never noticed that it was slow to focus, probably because the type of photography that I do doesn't require that much speed. It's also handy to have for low light/indoor shots.
    The 7.5 was a surprise to me. It's easy to defish with several inexpensive software options and it is delightfully sharp. Check out some of the threads here on the site.

• Like Like x 1
  9. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    You should consider the olympus 17mm as well. I recently bought a used copy and it is a great lens. The mf ring is much improved over the other m4/3 lenses and that's not even considering the mf clutch which is amazing. It's very useful for low light and astrophotography. I prefer it over the panny 20mm. I find the 17mm fov more useful and the af and mf system much improved.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    I just got a 20mm 1.7 off eBay for £200 used, this is the price they go for and If you do't like it , can resell and not lose any money

• Like Like x 1
  11. kadamnation

kadamnation Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    The 20mm really can't be underestimated--every time I feel GAS coming on between 15mm & 25mm, I go out and shoot with it for a while and the feeling passes :) AF can hunt a bit, but I switch to manual when it gets dark enough and that seems to work fairly well. The MF ring isn't as good as the 17mm Oly, true, but the 20 really is the complete package.

• Like Like x 1
  12. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    yep, so so true

13. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Yeah do that.
    I bought mine used from the forums, nice lens, very useful, nice images.

14. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Try shooting a kids birthday party with the 20mm in poor lighting! Kids running around, no AFC on Panasonic bodies, and slow focusing means lots of missed shots. I started to think if I would have done better with the Sigma 19. Noise>Blur!

15. mazg

mazg Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    The fact that you hit 14mm a lot suggests that you need to go 14mm or wider. You are constrained by the limitation of your lenses for the style of shooting you do. You might prefer 12mm if you had it available (like a 12-35mm for example)!
    The P20 is a great lens but it is a *lot* longer than the 14mm (28mm vs 40mm FF equivalent). I suggest you try to borrow/rent a lens (or find a store with a good return policy) and try something wider.

16. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I like my P14 a lot, but I like my O45 way more. But I shoot mostly people and the 14 focal length just doesn't work well for me in that most of the time. It really depends on what you shoot. I really want the PL25 next, but it's not in my budget either right now. Hopefully it will be soon enough, though. Best of luck to you. I have always been a zoom shooter, but the 14 and 45 are helping me adjust to primes.

17. SrPantuflas

May 26, 2013
    Chile, South America.
    i use a Canon 50mm f1.4 mainly for portraits, i find the focal a bit awkward (many times need to take a step back) but i really love the results! I would go for the oly 45 if i didn't have the Canon.

good point mazg, at least i'll keep using the zoom and checking what feels more natural to my shooting. (i would like to see how the new 12-32 will compare with the 14-42)

18. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I don't shoot children's birthday parties, thus, I had no issues with focus speed on the 20. I was careful to note that it suited my style of photography. It may not work for you, so be it. It does work extremely well for other people. YMMV. :cool:

19. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    SirPantuflas, the O.P, did not specify a kids birthday party as his main target.
    Of course fast focus is much better in that condition, there are many lenses that would do.

20. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    the Panny 14mm f/2.5 is just magical, and my favorite lens, period...

I lent it to my son while we spent the night at the haunted St. James Hotel in Cimarron New Mexico, he used while ghost hunting, and he now knows why I love this lens..

stjames-6.

• Like Like x 1