14mm 2.8 for lowlight video?

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by Cath59, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Cath59

Cath59 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 29, 2012
    Hi, I have a G3 with the 14-42mm lens & when I video bands in bar/club settings they come out dark, would a 14mm 2.8 lens improve the situation or maybe one of those led video lights?
    Thanks in advance
  2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Cath
    Panasonic 14 mm 2.5 isn't the answer to ur low light video.
    There are two options -
    1) Native primes -- panasonic 20 mm 1.7 or PL 25 mm 1.4- they r expensive
    2) Adapted fast primes which will suit more for video as u will have to manually focus to get best results .
    There are plenty of legacy primes available with different focal length u can pick up which suits u the most .
  3. Gerald

Gerald Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2011
    For filming in a bar a led light is highly recommendable.
  4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Don't know what degree of control your have over video on the G3 - but when shooting video, you should be aiming to work with manual settings

Your shutter speed should be at 1/50 or 1/60 a second. You then adjust either aperture or ISO ( or both) to get a proper exposure.

A camera mounted LED light won't really help much when shooting bands on stage as the won't give out that much light, and it will be harsh, and probably distracting to the subject

This was shot on a GH2 with the 45/1.8 lens... can't remember the ISO - think it was 3200. The lighting in the bar was pretty minimal.

This was shot in a very dim restaurant with the 20/1.7 also on the GH2

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cath59

Cath59 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 29, 2012
    Thanks for your replies, unfortunately I can only change the exposure on the G3 everything else is auto.
    I guess I'll be saving some more money to fund a new lens!