14 Days on the Lofoten Islands – A Travel Documentary

damianmkv

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Probably the best set of photos documenting a trip ( coupled with a brilliant write up ) that I've seen :2thumbs:

Thank you for sharing

melanieylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Oh WOW!!! I have never seen such an exciting, vibrant, glorious series of travel photos as these, Julia - I am in absolute awe, and feeling so inspired. Thank you for your fun and detailed commentary, and technical information, it helps with inspiring me to try more landscape photography (not a real strength of mine) soon.

Cheers,
Melanie

Alpha Whiskey Photography

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Loved it. Great stuff, Julia :)

This is a trip I want to make by car too (from Sweden or Norway) and I don't mind the hiking but trying to convince someone to go with me... LOL!

Last edited:

scott rawson

Mu-43 Veteran
Simply stunning images..bolstered by a great write up!
Best set ive seen on this forum....I guess lofoten on my bucket list of places to see/swim

Julia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
@Julia Absolutely beautiful! Well done. What programme do you use for defishing your samyang?

Thanks, Kevin! As for defishing – I actually didn't do *any* defishing. I found that when you take care to hold the camera level (on the horizontal plane), the fisheye doesn't distort at all or at least only very little. I just load the photos into Lightroom and I don't even set the lens profile, I just checked to make sure. But I learned the hard way that tilting the camera forward or backward, or not holding it completely level with the horizon, will give me images that are really hard to correct in post. Sometimes I want that special effect and I use it during composition. But for the most part, I just enable the digital indicators for how level the camera is (it's shown on the screen on the back of the camera) and then I make sure that everything lines up before I press the shutter button :)

Bidkev

Mu-43 Legend
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
Thanks, Kevin! As for defishing – I actually didn't do *any* defishing. I found that when you take care to hold the camera level (on the horizontal plane), the fisheye doesn't distort at all or at least only very little. I just load the photos into Lightroom and I don't even set the lens profile, I just checked to make sure. But I learned the hard way that tilting the camera forward or backward, or not holding it completely level with the horizon, will give me images that are really hard to correct in post. Sometimes I want that special effect and I use it during composition. But for the most part, I just enable the digital indicators for how level the camera is (it's shown on the screen on the back of the camera) and then I make sure that everything lines up before I press the shutter button :)

OK. Thanks for that. I've just sold my 7artisans fisheye to buy the samyang as I couldn't find any profiles for the former for the odd occasion that I don't get the camera level. I've had a few samyangs in the past and love their sharpness and rendition, particularly the 14mm for full frame.

lampo808

Mu-43 Rookie
Awesome photos, thanks for sharing! And the writing participates to really create a story out of the pictures, and makes them shine even more.

One (maybe silly) question: how do you deal with sea waves in panorama shots? The last picture, for example. Or it's a crop from a single frame?

Julia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Awesome photos, thanks for sharing! And the writing participates to really create a story out of the pictures, and makes them shine even more.

One (maybe silly) question: how do you deal with sea waves in panorama shots? The last picture, for example. Or it's a crop from a single frame?

Thanks so much, I guess you can tell I'm a hobby writer, too :D

As for the sea-waves, that's a great question. The honest answer is: I ask LR to stitch the photos and then just keep my fingers crossed until its done. I did have a few panoramas where the waves looked a bit weird because the movement was so strong during shots that LR just couldn't handle it anymore. I was too lazy to fix it.

The last photo I shared consists of 10 separate, vertical photos which were stitched by LR and it just happened that it worked out. If not, I'd probably have chucked that stuff over to Affinity Photo (which I'm still learning) and tried to fix it there by painting the waves from specific photos over others. I really just got lucky this time.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom