1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

14-54 II Focus time

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Djarum, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    How fast does this lens, via adapter, focus compared to the Oly mFT 14-42 kit lens?

2. et100

et100 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    Chicago area - USA
    bumping this thread since i am interested about the same thing... Anybody here tried this combo?

3. willo

willo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2010
    London
    I brought the 9-18mm and Panasonic adapter, whilst at the shop I did try try the 14-54mm II on my E-P1. I found it slightly faster than the kit lens and better quality but obviously it is a big lens for the E-P1. I do think it balances the camera better, give it a try if you can.

Both lens where firmware 1.1 which upgraded the CDAF time.

4. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    I have the combination, but I can't remember how the CDAF speed compares with the kit lens - I guess it's about the same.

I've come to the conclusion that the Pen is primarily about rangefinder sizing for me... which means the collapsible mZD 14-42, pancake primes etc.

For the 14-54 and larger - I'd prefer my E-620.

Cheers

Brian

5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Brian,

Thanks for the info. I would agree with you that for carry around and lightweight, those sorts of lenses are great. However, I really am looking for something with a wider range, sharper, and faster for hiking. I already carry a good bit of gear when hiking, so a little heavier lens is no big deal. I'm even considering the Sigma 18-50mm 2.8 4/3 lens also. I think it would be great if OLY would make a mFT version of the 14-54.

6. et100

et100 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    Chicago area - USA
    I'm back.. now with E-PL1 and 14-54 mk II... this lens focuses fast. I've used it indoors and also works well. Its not as fast as when I used it on Olympus DSLRs but its acceptable. The extra time is due to making a back-and forth around the focus point.
    The only time its not focusing (any no other lens-camera i tried did) was when i tried to focus on featureless object: like a completely uniform wall or even worse on a dark featureless object.

Unfortunately I cant compare it to any native m4/3 lenses since I do not own any at this point in time :-(

• Like Like x 1
  7. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to start looking for one of these lenses.

8. et100

et100 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    Chicago area - USA
    make sure its mk II (mk I would not be as fast since has no live-view CDAF)
    - easy way to differentiate is to look for the blue ring around the focus ring, check out the pic below:
    [​IMG]