14/42mm question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kanasgowatom, Dec 6, 2011.

1. kanasgowatom

kanasgowatom Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    Good morning,
    I would assume the lens lock feature of this lens is to keep the barrel tucked in during periods of inactivity. The dot on the zoom ring lines up with the mark between the L in digital and the 1 in 14. When I power on the camera, I get the message the lens is locked, please extend the zoom.I do this without having to unlock anything.By turning the zoom to the left, I hear a click at 14mm. I quess my question is this, what is supposed to lock, the lens when it is at it's shortest length,or, the lens when it is zoomed out to 14mm.
    I hope I have stated this concern clearly, as I seem unable to obtain a good number of features this camera PL3 has.

Thank you
  2. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    I think the lock is to keep you from accidentally closing the lens while shooting. That way you can zoom in and out without worrying about closing the lens.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. UkrainianOne

UkrainianOne Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    Hmm never experienced this problem, and never even knew that it is possible to lock the lens into place without of course the initial attachment to the camera itself, the only other lock I know that is possible is the AF LOCK button on the camera itself, buts thats clearly not whats going on here, I will mess around with the 14-42 i have and see if i can accomplish what you are experiencing and will get back to you!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. irelach1

irelach1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2011
    hi i have the same on my lens i thought it was normal it locks into place when you extend it but when u put the lens away it dosent click shut you can still move it i thought it was normal
    • Like Like x 1
  5. UkrainianOne

UkrainianOne Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    Yea, when you go towards the 42mm side it does lock, but when you pull it back to the 14mm it stays put but does not lock, this is normal, as my lens does the same....

Im just wondering whats going on with kanasgowatom's lens/camera, im thinking maybe you just need to re-attach the lens and see what happens, or, maybe update your firmware?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. jlabate

jlabate Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2010
    Sounds like it's working normally. The lens is collapsed and locked when the dot is on that mark between the L in digital and the 1 in 14. If you turn the camera on with the lens in this position, you get the warning message saying the lens is locked.

Turn the zoom ring clockwise and the lens will unlock and allow your choice of focal length. You will hear the click as you pass 14.

To lock the lens, turn the ring counterclockwise while pushing the locking button forward. The lens should lock in place with the dot back to that mark as above.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    It's working fine. The click stop is to stop you accidentally collapsing the lens. You only need to use the unlock button to collapse.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You use the Unlock switch to Lock the lens, lol. :biggrin:

I know what they mean by "unlock", because that switch unlocks the lock that holds the lens from collapsing... but to most people who read it that's confusing, when all they know is that the Unlock switch is used to lock the lens in collapsed form.

Another poorly named button is the Menu button on the E-PM1. The Menu is now the secondary function of the button (which makes great sense, and is as it should be!), but the button should have been named the Mode button instead.
    • Like Like x 1