1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

14-42 x vs standard kit lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by rash_powder, Nov 10, 2012.

1. rash_powder

rash_powder Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Is there any advantage to the Panasonic 14-42 x over the standard Panasonic 14-42, aside from size?

They are both the same focal lengths and such, just one is smaller. Is that it?

Thanks!!

2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    The standard 14-42 doesn't have issues with certain shutter speeds at particular focal lengths whereas there are more than a few copies of the 14-42X that do. There is a large variation in quality with the X lense. Do a little research and I'm sure you'll find lots of info about the problems with some copies. I searched for quite awhile trying to find a good copy, never did but others have.

3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I haven't seen anybody claim that the 14-42 X turns out better quality images. The 45-175 on the other hand is very nice.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Good answers posted here. Let me sum them all up in one direct answer to your original question: No. :) The only advantage to the X pancake is size, and with that comes sacrifices.

Personally, I would never buy a lens with nothing but power-focus ever, and likely would never buy one with nothing but power-zoom. A focus ring is non-negotiable in my books. In Panny's favor though, the Nikon 1 pancake zoom is even worse... it doesn't even have a powered switch to focus with! o_O

5. jpcairns

jpcairns Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Joshua
    I had one of the 14-42 x lenses, and didn't particularly like it. I had a "good copy" as it didn't have the issue of double-images at certain focal lengths, but the overall quality wasn't the best and resolution seemed to somehow vary. Not the most helpful description, but I wouldn't recommend it IMHO.

6. oto02

oto02 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    Melbourne, VICTORIA, AU
    Flo
    Speaking of kit lens, my Oly m.14-42IIR updated, is soft as. Not impressed at all with it's quality. I got a Panny 20mm and Oly 45mm, totally different league. Is only mine like that?
    It came as a bundle with my PM-1, but I'd never pay $200 or so on this lens, the price that I've seen circulating on E-b@y.
    Planning to get Panny 14mm and 45-200mm.

Cheers.

7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    To Oto : I too got a silver 14-42R with my e-pM1 and it is rather good, same sharpness as the earlier model, though not as sharp as the proper Lumix 14-45. You may have got a bad one?
    I do wish that clever Lumix 14-42X was optically better, as the design is superb for quick use. Someone's even made an automatic lens cap for the thing!

8. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I did some test shots (tripod mounted, image that included block text on white) and found that the IQ on my 14-42mm X ranged between my 14-42mm and my 14-45mm (all Panasonic.) While not totally inclusive and, perhaps, covering up some of the shutter-induced movement, I would definitely rate them 14-42mm < 14-42mm X < 14-45mm. Given the unique form factor, it's hard not to recommend it for anyone looking for a compact package.

9. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    That may just be because no one bothered to test it. Actually I recall a very favorable review from one of the big lens testing sites. Slrgear? I have read posts from people saying they find the X zoom giving them better images than 14-42.
    I have the 14-42x and it seems fine to me. I don't have the other zooms to compare it to though.
    I would guess the advanced lens coatings on the X lenses help with image quality.
    Another huge plus for the X lens is the new zoom rocker next to shutter on the G5. It is so natural to use vs the rocker on the lens itself.

10. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Here's lenstips review. Not so positive.

Lenstip's Review 14-42X

11. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    I bought one and, while there was no 'doubling' effect, it was noticeably softer at certain shutter speeds (especially 1/160). Even at other shutter speeds it was not as good as my 14-45mm for sharpness or contrast, especially nearer the edge of the frame. I sent it back, which is a shame.

12. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
  13. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    SLRGear had a superb copy : keep reading down the page for posted comments, not all so glowing.