1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

14-42 vs 12-50 for walkabout lens on my E-P3??

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by phdezra, Mar 5, 2012.

1. phdezra

phdezra Mu-43 Stalker Subscribing Member

Dec 6, 2011
    New York, NY
    Hi all.

I have the 14-42 II R on my E-P3 (along with the fabulous PanaLeica 25/1.4). However, sometimes I use the 14-42 kit lens as a walkabout, and I'm wondering if I would get better images with more 'snappiness' and contrast if I picked up the 12-50.

Any real world comparisons out there? I dont want to pixel peep or DxO it to death; just looking for some fellow photogs 'gut' reactions based on your use and what you have seen. Thanks.

Ezra

2. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    I don't have either of those lens.

Im not sure, but I think the image quality are about the same (since they are both kit lens).
    Since you're not a pixel peeper, I think image quality from those lens should be acceptable to you.

Regarding compactness, I think the 14-42mm wins here.

Please note also that in terms of focal length, the 12-50mm has extra reach. It also has macro function which is quite helpful if you need it. Powerzoom might be useful in video mode too.

3. nandystam

nandystam Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    There are some sample shots from the 12-50 by a dpreview user here

He has a link to his smugmug page with full res images.

I'm also curious about the 12-50 lens as a travel lens, given the slightly extra width and length compared to the kit lens. Plus the macro feature. Seems to tick a lot of boxes in that regard.

eBay sellers from Asia seem to be selling this lens for around the low $400 (AUD) mark at present.

Probably need to wait for either more reviews or more people owning before we a real judgement on how good this lens may be? Sure has had a lot of negative sentiments so far.

4. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Wait until the E-M5 is released. I suspect there will be plenty of 12-50 available from owners who got it as part of the kit and have changed their mind about the lens.

5. fpabernard

fpabernard New to Mu-43

Mar 19, 2014
    I have the 12-50 and used it with E-PL5 and E-P3. I think it's better on E-P3 because of the lower resolution. I prefer it than the 12-42 on the E-P3. With 16 Mpx sensor, you will be frustrated by both 12-42 and 12-50. The best is then to use good primes or the 12-40 if you can afford it ...

But for video the 12-50 is a must have IMHO.

6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I'm not particularly fond of the 12-50 that came with my EM5. Especially once you see it against the Oly 17/1.8 & 45/1.8.

Hiowever, it is a useful focal length range for walking about....it just tends to be a lot softer when compared to the primes. I find it gets better with some post processing (sharpness/microcontrast/clarity). Couple that with the fact that it is weather sealed and it might be appealing. It also has a macro mode built in.

I'm keeping it just for the weather sealing alone, and for those times when you don't want to be switching lenses a lot(high wind, the beach).

7. Fred S

Fred S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2012
    Calgary
    Fred S
    IMO the 12-50 is a nice walkabout lens
    I don't see any BIG differences in IQ vs 14-42 R II on my EPL-5
    The 3 reasons I bought mine
    1. Macro
    2. A little wider than the 14-42 for landscapes
    3. I got mine for a good price $200.00 locally

2 OOC jps EPL-5 and 12-50 lens

First shot Macro 43mm second shot landscape 12 mm

pink-rose-01-02-14_zpsa00fc1ac.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Bow-valley-02-01-14_zps154043c1.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.