14-42 vs 12-50 for walkabout lens on my E-P3??

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by phdezra, Mar 5, 2012.

1. phdezra

phdezra Mu-43 Stalker

Dec 6, 2011
    New York, NY
    Hi all.

I have the 14-42 II R on my E-P3 (along with the fabulous PanaLeica 25/1.4). However, sometimes I use the 14-42 kit lens as a walkabout, and I'm wondering if I would get better images with more 'snappiness' and contrast if I picked up the 12-50.

Any real world comparisons out there? I dont want to pixel peep or DxO it to death; just looking for some fellow photogs 'gut' reactions based on your use and what you have seen. Thanks.

2. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    I don't have either of those lens.

Im not sure, but I think the image quality are about the same (since they are both kit lens).
    Since you're not a pixel peeper, I think image quality from those lens should be acceptable to you.

Regarding compactness, I think the 14-42mm wins here.

Please note also that in terms of focal length, the 12-50mm has extra reach. It also has macro function which is quite helpful if you need it. Powerzoom might be useful in video mode too.
  3. nandystam

nandystam Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    There are some sample shots from the 12-50 by a dpreview user here

He has a link to his smugmug page with full res images.

I'm also curious about the 12-50 lens as a travel lens, given the slightly extra width and length compared to the kit lens. Plus the macro feature. Seems to tick a lot of boxes in that regard.

eBay sellers from Asia seem to be selling this lens for around the low $400 (AUD) mark at present.

Probably need to wait for either more reviews or more people owning before we a real judgement on how good this lens may be? Sure has had a lot of negative sentiments so far.
  4. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Wait until the E-M5 is released. I suspect there will be plenty of 12-50 available from owners who got it as part of the kit and have changed their mind about the lens.
  5. fpabernard

fpabernard New to Mu-43

Mar 19, 2014
    I have the 12-50 and used it with E-PL5 and E-P3. I think it's better on E-P3 because of the lower resolution. I prefer it than the 12-42 on the E-P3. With 16 Mpx sensor, you will be frustrated by both 12-42 and 12-50. The best is then to use good primes or the 12-40 if you can afford it ...

But for video the 12-50 is a must have IMHO.
  6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    I'm not particularly fond of the 12-50 that came with my EM5. Especially once you see it against the Oly 17/1.8 & 45/1.8.

Hiowever, it is a useful focal length range for walking about....it just tends to be a lot softer when compared to the primes. I find it gets better with some post processing (sharpness/microcontrast/clarity). Couple that with the fact that it is weather sealed and it might be appealing. It also has a macro mode built in.

I'm keeping it just for the weather sealing alone, and for those times when you don't want to be switching lenses a lot(high wind, the beach).
  7. Fred S

Fred S Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2012
    Fred S
    IMO the 12-50 is a nice walkabout lens
    I don't see any BIG differences in IQ vs 14-42 R II on my EPL-5
    The 3 reasons I bought mine
    1. Macro
    2. A little wider than the 14-42 for landscapes
    3. I got mine for a good price $200.00 locally

2 OOC jps EPL-5 and 12-50 lens

First shot Macro 43mm second shot landscape 12 mm