14-42 or 12-50

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by scotth, Feb 8, 2012.

1. scotth

scotth Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2011
    Ok, so I am probably going to buy an E-M5. My question is why would I buy the 12-50 kit over the 14-42 kit. I am leaning toward the 14-42 because it is smaller, faster and less expensive.

I guess for me I do not see a big advantage to the 12-50, is there something I am missing.

I will state up front that for me, power zoom is not a big benefit. Weather sealing might be helpful, but not a game breaker.
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If you have a weather sealed body, you will find that a weather sealed lens will come in a lot handier than you think! The weather sealing of the E-System cameras is the best in its class (along with Pentax' system). It can be shot in torrential downpours, blizzards, whatever you can think of. You can even drop the camera in water and fish it out again (even though it's not meant to be "submersible", short submersion is no problem). Outside of submersion there is no limit to how long you can leave it in constant downpour. If you're out by the salt water you can just hose your camera down to clean it. It's not just "splash proof" as the name would apply. ;)
  3. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    If you don't see a advantage to being able to go as wide as 12mm or as tele as 50mm in your zoom, then, no, you're not missing anything.
  4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Weather sealing, 20% wider view at wide end, power zoom (for video) and close focus (twice the magnification of the 14-42).

5. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Yep, I was considering the SLR Magic 12mm for those 2 extra mm.
  6. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    In my purely fictional purchase of the new Oly I considered which package was best, and I think it's the 12-50. Buying a kit is always a way to acquire a kit lens at a discount. I don't think it's worth what they're asking for it but being the only weather sealed lens it'll always have a demand.
  7. zyphertx

zyphertx New to Mu-43

Feb 8, 2012
    I don't feel the advantage
  8. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I also bought the 12-50 kit in hopes of replacing my 60d/15-85 combo with it. If I don't like it then sell it for, hmmm $400 maybe? At least that is the plan.
  9. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    I too had the same problem- however with body only or 12-50. I wanted the Silver body- and it's not available with the 14-45 for some reason.

The main advantage is that it's weather sealed. The other is it's pretty wide and had a little more zoom than the standard kit. Sure it's darker, and the performance seems to be "okay" but as others have said- the combination of it's focal lengths, macro-ish capabilities, and and the only native weather sealed lens- for a kit lens, that's a pretty good deal.

But I so wish it were faster than that.