14-42 mk1 on newer body

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kwengca, Feb 19, 2013.

1. kwengca

kwengca New to Mu-43

Dec 6, 2012
    Hi all

I've done some searching on this topic but haven't found a direct answer to my question.

The girlfriend is currently using the 14-42 mk1 on her epl1. The combo is fantastic in terms of iq and the focusing speed is workable in good light. As everyone knows though it is slow to focus and hunts often in low light.

My question is if the focusing speed and accuracy will be improved on a newer body like the epm1. I understand the mk2 is cheap but just don't want to buy another slow kit zoom. Is anyone using the mk1 lens with a newer body? Any differences?

Thanks a bunch everyone :smile:
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    There won't be a notable difference. The E-PM1 does have faster focus performance in the body end, but the lens is the biggest limiting factor. If the lens isn't up to snuff then you can't squeeze more out with a faster body.

If you can afford a new body, then why not get a new lens instead? It will improve your performance in every way by magnitudes. Cameras are an optical device.
  3. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    The Mk.1 won't be any faster on the newer bodies. Plus, it's prone to wobble.. best to just get a Mk.2 or better yet if you're willing to shell out for a new body get a new lens.