14-42 Lenses Compared?

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
Both Oly and Panny make lenses that range from 14 to 42 (i.e. wide 28 eq. FF to short tele 84mm FF eq.)

I am wondering if anyone has compared these two lenses directly?

I find that I rarely shoot as wide as 12mm or much beyond 30mm while out hiking, so why carry the bigger heavier Pana-Leica 12-60 (except for the IQ character, which is only a difference in certain situations)

Real Name
Walter
I have not seen any head to head comparisons between the 14-42 Olympus and Panasonic kit lenses. However, Imaging-Resource makes comments about lenses they test in relation to similar lenses. That may help. You'll have to infer the differences.
https://www.imaging-resource.com/lenses/olympus/14-42mm-f3.5-5.6-ii-m.zuiko-digital/review/
https://www.imaging-resource.com/lenses/olympus/14-42mm-f3.5-5.6-ez-ed-m.zuiko-digital/review/
https://www.imaging-resource.com/le....5-5.6-ii-asph-mega-ois-lumix-g-vario/review/
https://www.imaging-resource.com/le...-f3.5-5.6-asph-mega-ois-lumix-g-vario/review/

I have a P12-32 and an O14-42 II. I have never compared them and unit variance would probably make that comparison not generally applicable. The 12-32 is reputed to be pretty sharp. I like that it's a pancake and suited for a light kit. One big difference between the P12-32 and the other kit lenses is the absence of a focus ring. That may not be important to you, but I found it frustrating on a couple of occasions.

My operational view is that they're pretty similar to each other and a stratum below the pro-grade standard zooms like the 12-40 Pro, P12-35 X, etc. But, they're pretty darn decent lenses. As kit lenses, they go a long ways.

I would probably take the PL12-60 for its IQ and weather-sealing for outdoors and hiking. The latter makes a difference to me. Shoot without trepidation.

Real Name
Walter
Not sure it helps, but here's an ancient thread where I attempted to compare the kit zooms which were available at that time.

- K
You made a good point that the Panasonic lenses generally have OIS whereas the Olympus lenses don't because their bodies have IBIS. Depending on what @ralf-11 is using for a body, that could make a big difference. An Olympus lens on a non-IBIS Panasonic body wouldn't have any IS, whereas a Panasonic lens on an IBIS-equipped Panasonic body could have Dual-IS. That's an important factor to consider.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
I use Pany bodies and like having OIS. Thx

Of course, I'd use a small body like my GM5 or GX85 with a small lens. Can't recall if they have IS or what level...
IIRC, the GX85 does but it's not as good as the IS on my G9.

Vermont3133

A New Lens Will Fix It!
For what it's worth I did some research on the best 14-42 range kit lenses and the Pana version ii came up tops [on a Pana body with dual IS]
I find it pretty good and I like the fact that it has an included, reversible, lens hood.
Edit: I use a GX85....so the dual IS is noticeable....but not extraordinary as, I suspect, you would find on a G9

Last edited:

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Just to throw the cat among the pigeons here ...

I'm happy with my 14-42 EZ and 12-50 macro. Neither is quite up to the mark of my pro lenses, except that the macro feature of the 12-50 is very comparable with my FTs f/2 50 macro!

The IBIS in my E-PM2 is about as good as that in my E-1 ...

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I am wondering if anyone has compared these two lenses directly?
"these two"??? Between them I think there are about 37 of them or so. Both companies couldn't help but pump out new version of this lens there for a while. Fortunately they finally settled down and realized, hey, we could make other lenses.

Real Name
Walter
I use Pany bodies and like having OIS. Thx

Of course, I'd use a small body like my GM5 or GX85 with a small lens. Can't recall if they have IS or what level...
IIRC, the GX85 does but it's not as good as the IS on my G9.

Well, that pretty much means your best choices are Panasonic lenses. Seriously, you already got a great standard zoom, the PL12-60 f2.8-4. If you want something smaller, you could consider the Pana Lumix 12-60, which has weather-sealing.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm interested in this cuz while I have the 14-42EZ, I have always hated power zooms. I could never get the hang of them on my P&S, and that carried over to the EZ. I still use the 14-42EZ when I want compact, but I've been looking at the 14-42 MANUAL zooms to replace the EZ.
I have the P-Lumix 12-60, but want something smaller, as I would use it on my EM10-mk2.
The Panasonic 14-42 II seems like it might fit the bill.

Real Name
Walter
I'm interested in this cuz while I have the 14-42EZ, I have always hated power zooms. I could never get the hang of them on my P&S, and that carried over to the EZ. I still use the 14-42EZ when I want compact, but I've been looking at the 14-42 MANUAL zooms to replace the EZ.
I have the P-Lumix 12-60, but want something smaller, as I would use it on my EM10-mk2.

I agree with you about power zooms. I had the 12-50 which also has a power zoom, but you could turn it off and zoom manually. If you want something small like the EZ, there is the 12-32. I admit that the range feels a little short, but it's 24-64 eFOV, so still a good range. It's quite sharp, but it's main drawback is the lack of a focusing ring. It's a good match for the EM10 II. But, so would the 14-42 II. The latter is quite a bit bigger.

Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 5.12.49 PM.png

Last edited:

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have the 12-32 (actually 2 of them somehow). I think I may just continue to use that despite the lack of a focus ring and the inability to go to short tele.

BUT, what I really want is a high quality, character rendering, very small zoom from 14 to 45 (28 to 90 FF) in a Panny Leica type. It need not be fast at all, just small.

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
I wrote up a test of Oly 14-42ez and Lumix 14-42ii. I'll look for it in my blog tomorrow, doing so on my phone is painful. As i recall, ez could focus a but closer, Lumix flared a bit less.

Generally with kit lenses it's a matter of less quality control, any variant has gold medal copies, and lumps of coal.

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
Another spanner thrower - the original Pana 14-45mm kit is really nice. Definitely feels better than the original Oly 14-42 kit I got with my E-P1. Having said that, the Pana 12-32mm is probably my favourite kit-zoom.

Real Name
Rob
For what it's worth (which may be not much)
This post (below) seemingly rates the P14-42ii as the "best" cheap kit lens
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60036107
I have one, I consider it really good, it was also stupidly cheap (half the price of the 12-32, used).
I like that it hardly extends when zooming.
I use it on my old E-PM2, and the OIS is good because the IBIS is dead on my E-PM2.
I sold my Oly 14-42 once I got the Pana lens.
So that's a vote from me.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I have the 12-32 (actually 2 of them somehow). I think I may just continue to use that despite the lack of a focus ring and the inability to go to short tele.

BUT, what I really want is a high quality, character rendering, very small zoom from 14 to 45 (28 to 90 FF) in a Panny Leica type. It need not be fast at all, just small.
Robin Wong has a very recent video comparing the 12-32 vs the Oly 14-42. It is here:
Robin Wong Video

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom