14-35 question

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by elandel, Sep 23, 2016.

1. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Hi all. I have the 4/3 14-54 and have the hance to get the 4/3 top pro 14-35 for 800 euro. Has anyone used it on Olympus bodies like em1 and can tell me how af works? Is it worth buying it if I already have the 14-54 iq wise? Would the iq be the same or much better on the 14-35?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
  3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    One thing to note is that the 14-35 has an SWD motor, which seem to have somewhat higher failure rates than the other type (particularly if you're using it on a body that doesn't do PDAF, i.e. any m4/3 other than the E-M1). Also, while the 14-54 is clearly not as good optically, there's also a lot of sample variation with that lens - good ones are pretty decent (almost as good as the Olympus 4/3 12-60), not so good ones are a lot worse.

4. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thanks. I also have a 11-22 lens.

5. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    I haven't been able to find any hard evidence with the 14-35, most of the cases are with the 12-60. But, this could well be simply the proliferation of that lens too.

6. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    12-60 is sure more common than 14-35.

7. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I have not seen this to be the case. In fact over many years of reading 4/3rds and m43rds forums and email lists, I don't really recall many posts at all about ANY lens motor failures and certainly not SWD ones specifically being problematic. Between the popularity of the 12-60mm and the 2nd version of the 50-200mm lenses, if this was really an issue I would think I would have seen more discussions about it. Yes and I know you CAN find a few discussion about motor failures, so no need to run off and point to one or two as "proof". You can also find as many posts about many other lens issues (stuck apertures, etc.).

8. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    I read dhazeghi's remark on failure not as a mechanical issue, but as a 'fail to AF properly' failure.
    Maybe this helps :)

9. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Yeah, I haven't done a done of reading on 4/3 lenses, but go to a Pentax forum and every single person seems to have a horror story about SDM motor failures, which seems to be a similar technology. But it sounds like Olympus baked the technology much more reliably.

10. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    No, he is talking about the motor failing as in "send it out for repair".

Fred

11. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    My English has been detoriating of late, so it seems....

12. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I think it was the part where he said "particularly if you're using it on a body that doesn't do PDAF" that confused you. While it might seem like he was referring to auto focusing, I believe he was implying that with contrast based AF, the lens is required to move in and out very quickly and that this type of focusing might wear out or break a SWD motor that was designed for use on PDAF systems where the AF system can move the motor directly to the correct position (no micro back and forth motion required).

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    This has been a concern and I think is probably valid. I have not been able to find a single 14-35f2 failure online, but that is at best anecdotal. On an E-M1 this really does not worry me and I can't see using any of the SWD lenses on anything else personally.

14. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    As soon as I get the EM1 I'll try.