14 2.5 lens fatigue?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by a_hit_of_meth, Dec 11, 2015.

1. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    I was using my 14 2.5 on my E-m10 sometime a few weeks ago and I noticed after a few minutes of walking around the display on the live view mode become dark. When I took a picture it would lighten up again when I pressed the shutter button to take the picture and then go back to the dark image in live view. I checked the front of the camera and noticed the aperture blades had closed up. They would open up and give the correct exposure when the shutter button was pressed and then return to this closed position. This only happened after a few minutes of normal use walking around. I turned off the camera, removed the battery for a while and turned it back on and still the same. I was in my normal PASM shooting modes, no special settings, DOF preview or any of that pressed.

I've only had the chance to mount the camera once since then and it has not happened since then. I don't know if this means anything, maybe just a one off quirk with the camera or maybe it's a sign of the lens possibly on it's way to going bad.

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The aperture blades close down in bright conditions to prevent the sensor from overheating. It shouldn't make any difference to the image in the EVF, however the camera going into power saving mode will dim the display.

When you focus the aperture blades should also open up momentarily, then stop down again.

3. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    This sounds more like an EVF menu display option. I don't have a camera here to check, but something like EVF gain setting possibly?

4. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Are you using an off-brand battery other than an OEM Olympus one?

5. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    even if the lens is on Panasonic bodies, it will stop down too if against strong light source, so strong that could possibly overexpose the live view. this is perfectly normal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    I haven't had time to buy the off brand battery I wanted to, so I'm currently only using the OEM battery that came with the camera.

I haven't changed any of the settings. It has only occurred once and I haven't been able to replicate it again.

I've noticed this on my GF3 before and assumed it was to protect the sensor but I've never seen it on an Oly body. I used this extensively with my E-m5 last year and I don't recall noticing this happening before.

7. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Olympus bodies also do it, it's enabled or disabled via "flicker reduction". The option toggles the flicker reduction for mains powered lights however it also disables this behavior if desired.

8. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Olys bodies have the same strategy, albeit newer sensors may have more headroom for highlight. This issue has been well reported by EM5+PL25 users.