14-150mm OR 14-42 II AND 40-150mm?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RobertS, Jun 4, 2013.

1. RobertS

RobertS Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    I could see giving the single 14-150mm lens a lot of use over fumbling with the pair of lenses. However, if the IQ of the pair far exceeds the convenience of the one lens, I'll stick to the pair. Would there be any other option for a single lens of approximately the same focal lengths?
  2. RobertS

RobertS Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    Oops. Should have put this under the Native Lens forum. Anyway to move it there?
  3. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

I do have all three of those lenses.

On my recent trip to the UK, I found the convenience of the single lens outweighed any small difference in sharpness. And the differences *are* small, certainly not in the 'far exceeds' category.

Others may see this differently. I don't think there is any right and wrong here.
  4. RobertS

RobertS Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    Well that does encourage me to seek the single zoom lens. Thanks.
    Let's see what a few others think before taking real action.
  5. atom

atom Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I don't have the money, but I would love to get the 14-150mm. I love shooting with my 40-150, getting sharp, beautiful close-ups, but I always end up needing a wider-angle at points throughout the day. I'm going to wait until Tamron releases their zoom and they make a choice.
  6. RobertS

RobertS Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    Does anyone know when Tamron might officially release that lens? And the cost?
  7. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Well, I personally went with the Oly 14-42 II and the Panasonic 45-150, because I have one Olympus body (E-PL2 bought cheap with the kit lens) and one Panny body (G5) and wanted the OIS in the tele lens.

I can't speak to the results, because the Panasonic tele has not arrived yet.

I will eventually want to add one fast midrange prime (either the Panny 20mm f1.7 or the Oly 17mm f1.8) and something in the ultra-wide range (I might bite the bullet and spend big on the Panny 7-14mm, although I would prefer a 9 or 10mm rectilinear prime if one were to materialize.

I would also consider the 45mm f1.8, but I think I can make do with a manual focus legacy lens here (I own several old 55mm f2 or faster SLR lenses) and save the $300+
  8. mcumeda

mcumeda Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    You can pick up a refurbished 14-150mm at Cameta for 340. I have been happy with the range and IQ. I take it when we go to the zoo or park or some place where there is good light. I take it and stick the 20mm in my pocket if I need something faster.
  9. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 28, 2010
    The beautiful northwest Georgia mountains
    Dave Jenkins
    I've owned both. The 40-150 was maybe a little better, but the 14-150 is surprisingly good. I kept the 14-150.