14 -150 Zoom - Olympus or Tamron?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dougan, Aug 12, 2015.

1. dougan

dougan Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 9, 2015
    I am considering buying a all in one lens for my OM-D10, and was considering these two lenses. With the present £120 cashback from Olympus, the prices are very similar.

Has anyone tried the two against each other?
  2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• If you have an Olympus camera with Weathersealing (i.e. E-m5 or e-m1) then the new Olympus 14-150 II makes the most sense. It's supposed to be a universal lens and now you can even shoot in universal weather!
    • If you have an Olympus camera without weathersealing, then it doesn't matter that much. But maybe you will get a camera with sealing in the future and wish you had a sealed lens, too?
    • If you have a Panasonic camera, then the 14-140 II makes the most sense due to the OIS.
    • If you have a weather sealed Panasonic camera, then you have to decide if you want stabilization or weather sealing. Tough call.
    The Tamron is a nice lens, but they kind of put themselves in a weird position with the competition. They aren't cheaper than the Panasonic or Olympus brand ones, and those offer clear advantages for certain users. The Tamron isn't cheaper, has no weather sealing and has no stabilization for those that need it in lens. So its a hard sell. I think they need to cut the price and compete that way.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    I own the Olympus and find it surprisingly usable - it's a decent lens in all major respects, maybe except for price, but I'm glad I finally got a superzoom. Of course, it's a compromise, but a pleasantly capable one ...

4. Jewood1234

Jewood1234 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2011
    Great timing on this question! Was just looking at the options last night. Have the panny 12-35 and love it.....except when I have to switch lenses.

Anxious to hear more...
  5. pcovers

pcovers Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2015
    I tested the Oly 14-150 II against the Tamron and decided on the Tamron. I found the Tamron to have slightly better sharpness at both ends of the zoom range. Slight enough that alone it should not be a reason to choose the Tamron. However, the difference for me was the contrast and color rendition of the Tamron that I found immediately more pleasing at all focal lengths. I just liked the results from the Tamron better. The zoom ring is also a little smoother with a little more resistance than the Oly had. The Oly was great and I can't imagine someone not liking it. I just preferred the contrast, depth of color, and what appeared to be less visible haze in the pics from the Tamron over the Oly.

I keep the Tamron 14-150 on my E-P5 and an Oly 9-18mm on the E-M10. I love that 9-18mm!
    • Informative Informative x 1