14-150 vs 40-150 & pan 20mm

PENJR

New to Mu-43
Hello all,

needed some advise on which to one/two to get. Budget is around $500.

Pan 20mm + Oly 40-150mm

or

Oly 14-150mm

or

Others??? - any sugestion.

This is to go with the kit lens of 14-42mm. I shots quite a few with the kit lens, but somthing is still missing and also wanting more.

Thanks

carpandean

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I haven't tried many of these lenses, so I can't offer advice on which to choose. However, another option would the 20mm Panny and the 45-200mm Panny. Are these going on an Oly or Panny camera? Both have a 14-42mm kit lens. I mostly ask because the 45-200mm is image stabilized in the lens.

playak47

Mu-43 Veteran
I have 40-150 w/ e-pl1. In my limited use indoor photos with flash (especially scene selection) pictures are amazing. But without flash it is very slow lens indoors probably same as all other lens you mention. I have taken few bird photos from window early morning but was not really impressed by it. Its probably me because the bird photos improved significantly once i started shooting in shutter speed mode but still not as clear as I have seen on this forum. Overall for the price it is worth it compared to the 14-150mm. Right now it is less than half the price of 14-150mm lens.

I am assuming you have 14-42mm lens so i would go for the 40-150mm and 20mm combo if you are on budget. This is the route I am going. I am planning on saving money now while still enjoying the lenses and waiting for supposedly high quality lens coming out soon. Lets see.

P.S. It seems this camera is pretty conservative with daylight shutter speed.

joele

Mu-43 Regular
as ~tc~ suggested it is hard to say if we don't know what you like to shoot and what aspects are important to you..

For me, with what you have, I would certainly buy the 20mm and something longer if you need it? I got the panasonic 45-200 but have never used the Oly 40-150 so can't offer a comparison.. But again it depends what you need for the type of photography you enjoy..

PENJR

New to Mu-43
I like to shoot mostly scenery, non human.

I put a couple of pics in the Gallery unde PENJR. At that time I used a P&S olympus stylus 850 sw.

Hopefully with this E-PL1, I can learn and do more

Mr Hahn

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Nate
As I said in the other thread you started on this same subject (Found here), if your first priority is "more zoom and sharpness than the kit lens" it seems to me that the 14-150 is where you should start spending your money and selling the kit lens would help fund it. The Oly 14-150 is a sharp single lens solution with a fast and silent autofocus that's also optimized for shooting video.

As a second purchase I would recommend the Oly 9-18 or Pany 20mm depending on how you prioritize between the wide angle landscape queen vs. the sharp and fast king of street.

Also, please try not to run multiple threads on basically the same topic, it gets hard to track the conversation and it clogs the forum.

-Nate

PENJR

New to Mu-43
Thank you all,

I got the oly 40-150 today and took alot of pics. My friend actually helped me in only using the Manual mode at around 50mm and it came out alot nicer than the iauto. I just need to learn how to use it better. By the way, he's using a Canon 60D with a 50mm lense. This he claim has more of a natural eye view.

For now, no more clogging the forum, just learn and practice and practice on the manual setting with the oly 14-42 and oly 40-150.

Also I would probably not get the pan 20mm, just save up to get a ultra wide lense, less than 20mm, a 50mm if any, and / OR a telephoto zoom lense. then I can sell the other two.

Hopefully Olympus will come out with a weatherproof PEN series as claimed.

PS. I also got a book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. very helpful even for the first few pages.

Thanks all

navyasw02

New to Mu-43
I'm the opposite with the 40-150. I dont really like it. It has good image quality, but the zoom ring is very stiff and it is too slow to be really useful in other than good ambient light conditions. I'd rather have the 14-150 since I'm using it as a travel camera and have the panny 20mm on standby.

ill_dawg

Mu-43 Veteran
I have the e-pl1 with the kit lens, the 40-150, and the pana 20mm. I really like this setup for travelling. The kit lens is great for walking around during the day, the 40-150 works really well for wildlife, and the 20mm comes out at night. I didn't go for the 14-140 because I don't want something that big on my camera all the time. It's nice to throw on the 40-150 with the vf2 when I'm shooting far away subjects, like volcanoes and animals, but it makes the camera a bit big for walking around with. I like having the smaller 20 and 14-42 that fit in my leather case. The reason I went with the pen, after all, was to keep things small and light. There have been some times when I was shooting with the 14-42 and wished it was a bit longer, and times when I wished the 40-150 would go a bit wider, but overall I'm happy having them as 2 separate lenses, so I can choose to have the long reach or the small size.

Latest threads

Top Bottom