14-150 vII vs 12-32 & 45-175?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by davidzvi, Jan 30, 2016.

1. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    I have the 14-150 vII and the 12-32 already. Camera is the E-M5 mkII. I know the general advantages weather sealed 14-150, all in one lens versus the wider and longer combo. I also believe the 12-32 is sharper in the 14-32 range.

But in the 40-150 range? Any issues with Power OIS vs just letting the E-M5 IBIS do it's thing with the 14-150? Does the Lens I.S. Priority option [OFF] on the E-M5 mkII mean it uses IBIS and disables the lens POWER O.I.S? I know [ON] disables body IBIS but I can't find confirmation about what [OFF] does.

Reasons I'm thinking about it:
    • I don't often use the range and it's a good chunk of $$ for something I don't use that often. Mainly baseball, sometimes zoos and casual bird watching at the feeders, etc. My 42.5 and 60 are used more often.
    • With the 14mm at the wide end I almost always feel I need to take the 12-32 with me just in case I need the extra.
    • Zoom ring turns opposite from what I'm use to with my Nikon gear. Annoying at times.
    • It's my only weather sealed option but do I really need one? I may get caught out in bad weather, but I can't remember the last time I intentionally went out in weather where it would matter. A weather sealed prime would be my preference actually.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I find IBIS works better than OIS. Lens I.S. Priority option [OFF] will only use IBIS. The 45-175, like all Panasonic zooms, zoom in the same direction as Nikon and Pentax lenses. I think the 12-34, 45-175 and a fast prime like a 25 something makes for a flexible, very good IQ, light, reasonably priced kit.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    I have the R7.5 / O17 1.8 / P42.5 1.7 / S60 2.8, so I have a selection of faster primes. Glad to know about Lens I.S. option. I remember when that option was introduced. I remember thinking it was great so that the I.S. systems didn't fight with each other for lenses that didn't have an ON/OFF switch. But never remember reading if it disabled the lens I.S. or just the body when a mounted lens has it.
  4. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    I got the 14-150 earlier this month. I had very low expectations for it. I've been pleasantly surprised with how sharp I've gotten out of it. Even in hires mode. I don't mind handing my wife the 12-40 f/2.8 when we go out and keeping the 14-150 on my camera.
    My only complaint is that it's slow. Only time I've had it be a problem is in low lit museums.

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk