1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

14-150 vII vs 12-32 & 45-175?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by davidzvi, Jan 30, 2016.

1. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I have the 14-150 vII and the 12-32 already. Camera is the E-M5 mkII. I know the general advantages weather sealed 14-150, all in one lens versus the wider and longer combo. I also believe the 12-32 is sharper in the 14-32 range.

But in the 40-150 range? Any issues with Power OIS vs just letting the E-M5 IBIS do it's thing with the 14-150? Does the Lens I.S. Priority option [OFF] on the E-M5 mkII mean it uses IBIS and disables the lens POWER O.I.S? I know [ON] disables body IBIS but I can't find confirmation about what [OFF] does.

Reasons I'm thinking about it:
    • I don't often use the range and it's a good chunk of $$ for something I don't use that often. Mainly baseball, sometimes zoos and casual bird watching at the feeders, etc. My 42.5 and 60 are used more often.
    • With the 14mm at the wide end I almost always feel I need to take the 12-32 with me just in case I need the extra.
    • Zoom ring turns opposite from what I'm use to with my Nikon gear. Annoying at times.
    • It's my only weather sealed option but do I really need one? I may get caught out in bad weather, but I can't remember the last time I intentionally went out in weather where it would matter. A weather sealed prime would be my preference actually.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I find IBIS works better than OIS. Lens I.S. Priority option [OFF] will only use IBIS. The 45-175, like all Panasonic zooms, zoom in the same direction as Nikon and Pentax lenses. I think the 12-34, 45-175 and a fast prime like a 25 something makes for a flexible, very good IQ, light, reasonably priced kit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I have the R7.5 / O17 1.8 / P42.5 1.7 / S60 2.8, so I have a selection of faster primes. Glad to know about Lens I.S. option. I remember when that option was introduced. I remember thinking it was great so that the I.S. systems didn't fight with each other for lenses that didn't have an ON/OFF switch. But never remember reading if it disabled the lens I.S. or just the body when a mounted lens has it.

4. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    I got the 14-150 earlier this month. I had very low expectations for it. I've been pleasantly surprised with how sharp I've gotten out of it. Even in hires mode. I don't mind handing my wife the 12-40 f/2.8 when we go out and keeping the 14-150 on my camera.
    My only complaint is that it's slow. Only time I've had it be a problem is in low lit museums.

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.