1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

14-150 on a G1?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by benjie, Jul 7, 2010.

1. benjie

benjie Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    London
    I swapped my Samsung GX10 (heavy!) for the G1 and I haven't regretted it for one moment.

Weight is a large consideration and I see that the Olympus 14-150 is far lighter (and cheaper!) than the Panasonic 14-140. Would it be a good alternative? I'm aware that shake reduction wouldn't work.

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    If the lack of stabilization isn't an issue for you, then no, everything else about the lens should work perfectly with the G1. For a lens with that much length at the tele end, I'd personally want some sort of stabilization, so I'd likely steer away from that combination. But that's the only thing that should be problematic, so if its not a problem for you....

-Ray

3. benjie

benjie Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    London
    It probably would be an issue. Maybe the 45-200 is the best bet. I should get into the changing lenses routine.

4. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi benjie,

the grip and shape of the G1 makes it easier to hold steady, and the mass of the camera makes the shutter action fairly low vibration... so with good handholding technique and careful shooting you may get away with it, but I think the mZD 14-150 is much better suited to a Pen with IBIS.

I would be on the lookout for a GH1 + Lumix 14-140 right now... with the recent hack and it going out of production, we're probably in the sweet spot for value for money there.

Cheers

Brian

5. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    As long as you understand the limitations of working with a non-IS lens, you should be fine. I take my Vivitar 70-210 with me on quite a few occasions, and IS hasn't been an issue yet. I shoot in situations with plenty of light, or with some sort of support if I need to reduce my shutter speed below 1/200.

The 45-200 is a great alternative to the 14-150 because it does come with IS and faster AF, but people say it's not as sharp. Price is probably the same for the two lenses, and you get slightly longer reach with the 45-200 (plus no need for the additional adapter). I think you'll find that shooting with the 45-200 fits most walk-about situations out there - every time I take my 14-45 I find myself wishing I had more zoom.

6. benjie

benjie Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    London
    Thanks for the responses. I'll probably go for the 45-200. Even though the 14-140 has been reduced in price it's still far above what my partner would be prepared to fork out at Christmas!

7. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    The mZD 14-150 is a native m4/3rds lens, and so no need for any additional adapter. Also, the focusing speed is very fast - about the same as the Lumix 14-45, and it's cheaper than the Lumix 14-140.

Cheers

Brian