14-140mm Filter Recommendation

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by coastlineamps, Apr 24, 2013.

1. coastlineamps

coastlineamps Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 25, 2013
    I have read many forums on filters and such but it seems there are so many types out there for many different uses. I am trying to educate myself a bit more on the filters and I have found one that might work for my native 14-140mm lens with the GH2.

My goal is taking sports pictures outdoors and going to disneyworld in a few weeks. I like to capture as much as possible outdoors at disneyworld with the family and found this filter after much reading. Will this work for my situation for STILLS and FILM?

Hoya 77mm Pro 1D 16x (4-stop) Neutral Density Filter XD77ND16

BTW, I am also purchasing a Pana 25mm soon for indoor shots. Any help would be great...Thanks
  2. kponds

kponds Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2013
    That filter is simply going to allow you to slow your shutter speed by 4 stops.

You would need it if:

-You want to induce motion blur in a subject in very bright lighting conditions, such as a waterfall or ocean waves.

-You want to shoot at a very, very fast F-Stop in very bright lighting conditions, and you hit the maximum shutter speed at the lowest ISO possible, before making it down to the fastest F-Stop (hope I explained that well, heh).

If I were doing outdoor sports pictures or disneyworld pictures, I probably wouldn't use bring any filters. If I did, it would be a circular polarizer, and I would only use it on shots where I needed to cut reflections or saturate the sky.

Also, you don't want 77mm filters on :43: . I'm not sure what the filter diameter is on the 14-140, but I'm certain it isn't 77mm.
  3. coastlineamps

coastlineamps Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 25, 2013
    ok. Boy I need to read and understand some more. Thanks...
  4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    This is good advice from kponds. I believe the 14-140 (mk I) uses 62mm filters and starting with a polarizer (either circular or linear will work for :43:) would be the way to go.

sent from my Android tablet using Mu-43 app