1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

14-140

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by moccaman, Sep 7, 2016.

1. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Hey guys, been a while! I am needing to replace my original 14-140 lens, was stolen along with a few others and its the only one I am unsure of how to go about replacing. Do I find another original Japanese made 14-140 that produced really nice shots and was almost my main lens (yes its heavy, yes its only F4) or is the newer 14-140 as good or better? And do I have any other choices now? Searching hasn't found me much, am using a GX7 body only these days and the 14-140 size didn't bother me on the 7.

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The newer one is about half the weight, 1/3 stop faster aperture, and a bit sharper optically. The downside is that there are many complaints of the OIS being a bit shaky when recording video. If you do a lot of video, check out this video. It's a deal-breaker for some.

For still photography, the newer model is better in every way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Tend to agree. I've owned several of the original and now have the vII. It seems just a little sharper but the size and weight advantage is great. I'll add that if you upgrade to a newer body the vII is compatible with dual OS, the original is not.

4. deacon

deacon Mu-43 Regular

Jul 7, 2015
    Deacon
    Do you know if the Dual IS cures the "jitter"?

5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Well I haven't experienced jitter so I can't really say if it cures it.

6. deacon

deacon Mu-43 Regular

Jul 7, 2015
    Deacon
    Yeah, it seems some people don't experience or notice (or complain about) it as much as others...

7. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Isn't the "jitter" problem something that only shows up in video?

8. macsesso

macsesso New to Mu-43

Aug 19, 2016
    Many people, including me, have not experienced a jitter. . It occurs mainly on a GX8 which I own. Upgrading this camera to firmware 2,2,while not a pure fix, will switch the shutter to electronic at the focal lenghs it may happen. It is a great lens. It's almost the same size as the 12 60 kit lens.

9. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I think you're confusing shutter shock with jitter.

The jitter only occurs is video. It is a complete non-issue for stills shooters.

See the video that tkbslc posted in the first reply.

It applies to the Power OIS lenses, not older style Mega OIS lenses. However, Panasonic seems to have fixed it with the new 12-60 lens that does use something branded Power OIS:

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Thanks guys, video is important, so is the GX7 going to be an issue? I do like the idea of the updated lens being lighter and faster and if its sharper that's only a good thing too!

11. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    I think you may want to turn off the in-lens stabilization for video due to the aforementioned jitter problem, you may have better luck doing the stabilization in post. Of course, you may find for your purposes the jitter isn't very obvious -- I'd guess it depends entirely upon your subject matter.

I've only shot video with the lens on a tripod with stabilization disabled, and for that shoot it was pretty awesome, fwiw.