14-140 to replace 2 Panasonic kit lenses

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Mike Wingate, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Mike Wingate

Mike Wingate Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    I am forever interchanging my 12-32 and 35-100 kit lenses on my GX80. Would the 14-140 solve my problems? Stacked, the kit lenses are the same length, yes a bigger lens with more weight round my neck all the time. The extra 50 mm may come in useful at times as I wont always have my 100-300 with me. Seems an ideal holiday lens, and a walking around town lens, always there and ready. I have almost talked myself into buying one. Help!

2. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Yes, do it! I did the same thing years ago and have never regretted it. I like 12mm and wider, though, so I also carry the very small 9-18 mm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. greenjp

greenjp Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

May 15, 2014
    Maryland
    I replaced the 14-42 v2 and 45-150 with a 14-140 v2 and much prefer the single lens solution. It's hardly any bigger than the 45-150 and I love the versatility. Do it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mattyh

Mattyh Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2013
    UK
    I swapped a bunch of primes, for the Olympus 14-150mm and now I use this 95% of the time, it is by far the best lens for convenience.
    I've owned it for a few months now and I've noticed I'm using it at 14mm, 20mm and 70mm most of the time.
    I'm now at a point were I'm missing my primes, but at the moment I'm loving the easy use and weather proofing of the 14-150mm.

5. Aperture Don

Aperture Don Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2017
    Illinois
    Personally, I wouldn't do it. That pancake 12-32 makes your camera almost pocketable, and if you're wearing a jacket, the 35-100 doesn't take up much room in another pocket. On the other hand, with only the 14-140, you give up 2 mm of wide-angle coverage which I would miss, and you always have a long lens hanging from the front of your camera.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. laptoprob

laptoprob Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2010
    consider the 12-60. I got one with my G80, but sold the 14-140. Partly because of the 12mm.

7. Mike Wingate

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    I have a 7-14 and a 100-300 to bracket the 14-100 range, which the kit lenses cover. I dont always take the big zoom, unless I am out for specific shots, generally wildlife. It is good to be able to go out with the 2 kit lenses as they take up little space, but I regularly keep on swapping them over.

8. oldracer

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    The OP's issue is changing lenses frequently, not pockets. "I am forever interchanging ..." That is exactly the reason I ditched my Panny 14-45 and 45-150 after a trip to the Galapagos. That "sorta telephoto, sorta not" lens changing point at 45mm or, in the OP's case, 35mm means that the short lens is has inadequate reach for some outdoors shots and the long lens is too long for some outdoor shots. The real-world, Murphy's law, result is that the camera always has the wrong lens on it. The 14-140 solves that nicely at a cost of not offering 12mm. It's not a big lens, though, and the V2 is not a heavy lens, so it suits me just fine and I think it would suit the OP as well.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    I was thinking about the same thing, but the 9-18 & 35-100 are so small and light I just haven't done it.

10. Mike Wingate

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    I shall go into the city tomorrow and see if any of the stores have one I can try on my body. I need to test a Manfrotto MHXPro 3 way head and see if my 100-300 fits in the RC2 QR, or does the body of the lens foul it. I have adapted my RC2 shoes to clear the lens on my tripod and monopod heads.

11. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    Simple answer: Probably yes.

Not so simple answer: I have the 14-140 and use it quite a bit on vacation just to keep thing simple. OTOH, I also have the 12-32 on another smaller body and often take just that with me, or have the wider zoom on one body and the longer zoom on the other. If you're determined to stick with a single body and don't want to change lenses then the 14-140 is really hard to beat. It's not even that bad a lens if used in it's sweat spots.

I did a write up here:
    Review: Lumix 14-140 f3.5-5.6 ASPH - DavidPartington.com

looking at the different focal lengths and apertures. It should be fairly easy to work out what apertures work well at different focal lengths :)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  12. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

For not much more than a 14-140, you could get a Panasonic TZ100/ZS100. It covers 25-250 and has a 1" sensor, which doesn't lose much, if any, to m4/3 in good to moderate light. It also has f2.8 at the wide end, which would help in interiors. If you really want to stay compact, have a big zoom range and not swap lenses, that's a great solution.

13. Mike Wingate

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    Should have bought an FZ82. I have bought my wife a TZ80, wide ranging zoom.

14. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The TZ80 and FZ82 have a 6x crop sensor, though. The TZ100 has a 2.7x crop, which is very close to 4/3 2x crop sensor in size.

15. Aperture Don

Jan 7, 2017
    Illinois
    Isn't that the whole idea of owning an interchangeable lens camera as opposed to a bridge camera or a compact? I think that the posts above make a lot of sense - buy a point and shoot. And, yes bring all of your phones.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    What's best is up to you, but the 14-140 is a fine lens. By reputation, superior to the other two. Just a convenience vs size decision.

17. oldracer

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Well, er ... Actually I don't think that the goal of having an interchangeable lens camera is to be changing lenses all the time.

There are environments where changing lenses is easy. In a commercial studio, for example. At home before going out to take pictures. In your box at the ballet or the opera. Sitting in your car before shooting a nice landscape.

There are many, many situations though where changing lenses is difficult, impossible, or involves too much time. The OP mentions "holidays." Street photography probably falls into this category. In my case most of my photography is travel. When traveling, I often do not control my movement enough to be able to stop and change lenses. I am often in environments where dust, etc. put an exposed sensor at risk. A Zodiac bucking in the waves make handling a lens change difficult even if no spray is involved. Finally, I do not control my subjects. The leopard, no matter how politely asked, is not likely to hold her pose while I change to a longer lens. Mating lions, too, are resistant to stage direction. One either takes the shot with the lens that is on the camera or there is no shot at all. Murphy further guarantees that the lens on the camera is not the one you need for the shot.

This is also an argument for zoom lenses, and even zooms do not provide me with the flexibility I need. My standard safari setup is two bodies, one with a long zoom like a 100-300 or a 100-400 and the other with a 14-140. In other difficult environments (weddings, for example) a 9-18 replaces the long zoom. Getting the shots I want is far more important to me than whatever pixel-peeping joy might come from shooting primes. Ansel Adams famously said: "There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept." I would say that there is also nothing worse than a sharp picture of a poorly-framed subject. YMMV, however.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Aperture Don

Jan 7, 2017
    Illinois
    You are right. I apologize for my post.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 5
  19. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 All-Pro

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I have the 14-140 v2, came with my G85 kit and am really please with it. I seem to be leaving my Olympus 12-40 at home now. But on holidays I will have to take something for low light situations as well. Not sure what yet.

20. I'm still debating this lens myself. The main reason I'm reluctant is that I would want to mostly use it with my little go everywhere camera, and it has a bad reputation for shutter shock with the GX1. I'm also contemplating upgrading the GX1 to a GX85, but at that point do I get the 14-140, or just take 2 cameras when I want more flexibility without lens swapping? 12-35 on the GX85 and either 35-100 or 100-300 on the G85?