1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

14-140 or 14-150?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jeffg53, Aug 22, 2014.

1. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    I am planning to buy one of these lenses and am wondering if there is much to choose between them. What I have read seems to indicate that they are both quite good considering the range and price. I would like to hear any opinions on these lenses please.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

2. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    I have the Olympus 14-150mm and am quite happy with it, but it is the only 'superzoom' lens I've owned that wasn't attached to a compact camera. I think the 14-140mm generally gets better reviews, but that may just be my impression.

Most importantly, do you have an Olympus body with 3 or 5 axis stabilisation? Even if so are you planning on buying a Panasonic body later that you may want to use it on? If so Id probably go for the 14-140mm all other things being equal.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jeffg53

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    Thanks, I am planning on putting it on an EM 10 for my wife. She has a compact now with that zoom range but wants something better. I have an EM 1 so can't see myself getting a Pana body.

4. I have an Olympus 14-150 superzoom and for what it is it produces pretty decent results. There is no question in my mind that it's superior to the copy of the 12-50 I owned and generally on par with the 40-150 zoom I had within their respective ranges (no not the future F2.8 version, the consumer one). I got rid of my 12-50 and 40-150 simply because the 14-150 did the same job without the lens swapping.

Those comments however relate to using the lens on my previous EM-5 and my current EM-1, it just doesn't feel very well balanced on my EPM-1.

As for the 14-140 I can't comment but I'd be interested in a side by side comparison :) 

• Like Like x 1
  5. jeffg53

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    Thanks Geoff. A side by side would indeed be good.

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    An American would get the 14-150 because 150 is bigger than 140. I say this just to give you the international perspective.

• Like Like x 1
  7. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    You might also want to consider the Tamron superzoom as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I have the older 14-140 Panasonic and it does the job. On the E-M10 I would recommend getting the removable grip.

If I were buying new I would also consider the Tamron.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Has anyone get any experience of the Tamron? From what I hear it appears smaller than the Olympus and Panasonic offerings. In the UK the Tamron is cheaper than I could get a second hand Panasonic V2.

10. jeffg53

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    Thanks for all the feedback. I have owned two Tamron lenses and swore that was enough. The grip is a challenge. My wife's first requirement is that it be light

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.