C&C 13th Century Fulling Mill in Alresford

Discussion in 'Comments and Critique' started by Plumballs, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Plumballs

Plumballs Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Whitchurch, Hampshire
    Phil
    Hi All,
    Went out to take this picture today and just aren't as happy with it as I would like. I would appreciate cc on any aspect (subject, composition and PP) for this photo. The light was very flat as you can see below in the photo before any PP. I used the 12-40 with a CPRL on the front for the water reflection.
    PP170037.JPG
    I had bracketed the original photo, so had a lot to play with and after a little bit of PP I have come up with the following image. Fulling Mill Alresford.
    All cc very welcome.

Phil

2. JensM

JensM Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Oslo(ish), Norway
    As screename
    I would probably have walked a bit closer or cropped down the left side of the picture, to emphasise the mill building a bit more. :)

Water and colour spill are pleasing to my eyes.

3. Plumballs

Jul 11, 2014
    Whitchurch, Hampshire
    Phil
    Thanks JensM,
    I actually ended up with over 150 shots of this, where some were closer and some further away. I settled for this crop as I wanted the second water feed in but new it needed no more foreground. I could have cropped up and changed ratio but needs to be similar for my print competition I am thinking of using it for.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    Take this as from someone who has no right to critique anyone else.
    I am drawn to the left hand side of the shot which I don't think is what you intended, plus the cars intrude and to me take away from a 13th century building. I am not sure what I would do to get over the car issue as you would lose the 2nd water inlet. I would also reduce the foreground, maybe as far back as the water inlet on the left. What is it like in B/W?
    I have just put this on my list to visit next time I go that way ... looks a lovely, quintessentially English building. Absolutely beautiful

5. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Yea, I agree with @dogs100@dogs100. The car ruins the shot for me. Could you have moved to the left until the car was obscured, even at the cost of standing in the water?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rifleair

Rifleair Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2016
    Midlands, UK
    I think it depends on what you wanted the end result to be, I prefer the first image as to me it has more character although the cars do draw the eye and detract, but they can be cloned out, also cropping a bit of sky off takes out the light area at the top. I hope you don't mind but below is a quick go at what i mean.
    mill3.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  7. Plumballs

Jul 11, 2014
    Whitchurch, Hampshire
    Phil
    Ill have to go back and have another go as I can see some potential, but l just have not found it yet. Luckily its only half an hour down the road from me :)
    this was a shot from closer to the mill with cars removed.
    PP170139c. turned B+W also.
    PP170139b.
    just don't feel I have got it yet.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Rifleair

Rifleair Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2016
    Midlands, UK
    The new view makes a much better composition, the colour view is best for me.

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. dogs100

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    I like b&w so I prefer that one, and there is an 'aged' feel to it which matches the age of the property. The ducks on their head are brilliant because they make you look round the picture for something else. Is it possible to clone the signs out on the post?

Thanks for doing this because it has made me realise that I should spend more time on composition, and post processing, and generally learning how to take better photos ...

10. Plumballs

Jul 11, 2014
    Whitchurch, Hampshire
    Phil
    I couldn't agree more, as I am constantly thinking how I can make pictures better changing position and lenses to take a different look at the same subject. This is why the cc thread is so good as other people tend to spot things you might have missed, like cloning the signs etc.
    I think there is still a better picture to be had at that site, so I will revisit at some point and have another go.
    Thanks all.
    Phil

11. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    The bottom of the beck is the least attractive part of the scene.

12. Plumballs

Jul 11, 2014
    Whitchurch, Hampshire
    Phil
    You might have a point Ulfric, which suggests I should have mixed things up further and taken more with and without the CPRL to have more options to draw on.

Removed the signs, Removed the alarm on the house, tidied up the shingle and re-toned for good measure.
    Thanks all
    Fulling Mill Alresford..

13. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    OK, I'll bite. What is a "fulling mill?"

14. Plumballs

Jul 11, 2014
    Whitchurch, Hampshire
    Phil
    It's a step in woolen cloth making where the oils and impurities are washed out of the wool and it becomes more uniform.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  15. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    This is better than the initial set, and the bobbing ducks are a nice touch in the bottom corner. I think what you really need is some nice morning or late afternoon light. I suspect that some warm, low angle light (depending on its direction of course) would give the building some definition and depth. I cannot tell without seeing the whole grounds, but it looks like a hard place to get the best angles of the structure.

Good luck,

--Ken

16. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    2c +gst less inflation makes this worth about a cent and a half....

Really nice photo's so comments to follow are just thoughts that may be of help

I read that you were keeping the crop for a print competition which begs the question what print sizes are allowed? the 4:3 Olympus ratio doesn't always work and us old folks from the 35mm film era have got 4:6 embedded in the brain so i personally find a lot of landscape/building just looks better at 6:4 or 16:9 and I thinks this is the same.

With the Mill being longer than it is tall and the space to the left just seems to fit into wider than 4:3 ratio.... also with a CPL the white/blown sky does not feel right and take the eye away from the white Mill, a nice blue sky would really offset the Mill and trees.

Cheers

17. dogs100

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    The wire coming from the right to the roof is a distraction, unless it's holding the building up ... (just call me Mr Picky) ... and I didn't even spot the alarm box ...

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    The original composition has promise - I like aspects of it more than the second view. The path on the right draws the eye away from the subject though, so my instincts are to reach across and put my tripod in the water!

The reflections don't quite come out, particular after PP. A polarising filter and letting the bed of the stream provide the foreground detail may have been an interesting shot.

I like your colours though on the original PP. That's come out really nicely.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Plumballs

Jul 11, 2014
    Whitchurch, Hampshire
    Phil
    Thank you Cederic,

Overall i am not happy enough yet, so i will visit and try again. I will definatly get in the water this time as you and others have suggested.
    Personally i agree with you on the original PP, but have to be cautious as it could look a little saturated when it comes to printing?

20. On the first shot I like the creek at far left, though it adds some neat but distracting trees. I would try cropping a bit from the bottom, it might not help but what the heck. As to the second shot, the two ducks are hilarious!

Is it possible to zoom in from further downstream, or do other distractions pop up from there? That would pull the left-hand creek closer. Hopefully those ducks will cooperate next time as well :rolleyes: