'First Complete E-P3 Review'

linkedit

Mu-43 Top Veteran
At 6400 ISO the G3 had less noise. Not really understanding why someone would pay $200 more for the E-P3 and not get the EVF.

RT_Panther

Mu-43 Legend
At 6400 ISO the G3 had less noise. Not really understanding why someone would pay $200 more for the E-P3 and not get the EVF.

If you don't need fast autofocus, GH2/G3 are ahead of the E-P3.....Looks like I'll be sticking with my E-PL2...

RT_Panther

Mu-43 Legend
I had read that the autofocus speed is only on the new lenses?

To get the full autofocus advantage, you must:
1) Buy one of the new bodies
2) Buy one of the new lenses

Otherwise, you won't have 100% full capability.

I'm sticking with my E-PL2 & NEX-3...

thearne3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The devil's in the details...

There's so much info just out that, for me, the jury is still out.

For example, looking at the dpreview studio comparison, I find the results (in terms of color, contrast, detail and noise) more pleasing with the E-P3 up to 1600, then prefer the G3 for hight ISOs. With fast lenses (legacy), I rarely find I need more than 1600 with my E-p2.

The reviewer at Review: Olympus EP-3 (and 12mm F/2) at The Phoblographer has a more positive take. As does the reviewer at Robin Wong Both are pleased with increased DR and greater ability to PP the jpeg - though neither compare directly to the G3.

Don't get me wrong...my next body will be either a G3 or E-P3. The built-in evf is attractive, but honestly, I've never had a problem with the vf-2 - and the OLED may make its use less mandatory than with the E-P2.

Exciting choices in any case!

RT_Panther

Mu-43 Legend
The devil's in the details...

There's so much info just out that, for me, the jury is still out.

For example, looking at the dpreview studio comparison, I find the results (in terms of color, contrast, detail and noise) more pleasing with the E-P3 up to 1600, then prefer the G3 for hight ISOs. With fast lenses (legacy), I rarely find I need more than 1600 with my E-p2.

The reviewer at Review: Olympus EP-3 (and 12mm F/2) at The Phoblographer has a more positive take. As does the reviewer at Robin Wong Both are pleased with increased DR and greater ability to PP the jpeg - though neither compare directly to the G3.

Don't get me wrong...my next body will be either a G3 or E-P3. The built-in evf is attractive, but honestly, I've never had a problem with the vf-2 - and the OLED may make its use less mandatory than with the E-P2.

Exciting choices in any case!

Phoblographer does have a more positive outcome.
The problem is the sensor. Tweaked or not, it's still the same one.

Panasonic has screwed Olympus here! If the E-P3 had the G3 or GH2 sensor, the decision to purchase would be a no-brainer....

Muntjack

Mu-43 Veteran
To get the full autofocus advantage, you must:
1) Buy one of the new bodies
2) Buy one of the new lenses

Otherwise, you won't have 100% full capability.

I'm sticking with my E-PL2 & NEX-3...

This is what really annoys. I would be prepared to upgrade my body every few years but at least I thought the lenses would be good for a decade. The only criticism I had of the MFT system was the slow AF for kids and wildlife.....their solution degrades my investment radically.
M :frown:

Bill Gordon

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Phoblographer does have a more positive outcome.
The problem is the sensor. Tweaked or not, it's still the same one.

Panasonic has screwed Olympus here! If the E-P3 had the G3 or GH2 sensor, the decision to purchase would be a no-brainer....

I kinda think Panther is right......after all the pre-hype it is not a "Pro" camera body..but the two new lenses are! It is too bad that Olympus have not listened to the those who made reasonably good suggestions, for instance built in EVF rather than built in flash. an external flash will/would have been better for "Pros".

Muntjack

Mu-43 Veteran
I kinda think Panther is right......after all the pre-hype it is not a "Pro" camera body..but the two new lenses are! It is too bad that Olympus have not listened to the those who made reasonably good suggestions, for instance built in EVF rather than built in flash. an external flash will/would have been better for "Pros".

Agree 100%. Lack of built in EVF is the most glaring flaw for serious photography in so many situations.

thearne3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Bill,

I'm not sure the Oly has ever said this is their 'Pro' version (ie, weatherproof, etc). However, it does seem to be the case that they are starting to give us Pro lenses.

My guess is that Panny offered the new sensor but Oly decided to flex their design muscle and take over that aspect. The value of this decision will be more apparent as time passes.

I agree re flash vs internal evf - I'd prefer the latter (with a ttl sync jack somewhere else to control external flash!).

Of course, just as we ask Oly to include evf, I'd ask Panny to include IBIS! That would be a perfect legacy lens cam!

brianb032

Mu-43 Veteran
The E-P3's MSRP leaves me head-scratching a bit. I know the E-P3 tops Olympus' lineup, but is it even close to Panasonic's flagship? I don't even know if the E-P3 is as good as the G3; yet it's still priced at the GH2's price-point rather than the G3's. The E-P3 targets a different audience, but if I were voting with my head and dollars, I would pick the GH2 (or even the G3) over the E-P3 any day of the week.

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
This is what really annoys. I would be prepared to upgrade my body every few years but at least I thought the lenses would be good for a decade. The only criticism I had of the MFT system was the slow AF for kids and wildlife.....their solution degrades my investment radically.
M :frown:

Actually, the new processor is what increases focus speed on the E-P3, and the firmware can be updated on all current m.Zuiko MSC lenses (which have internal focus) for the fastest lens-to-camera communication, affording the same speed as the new R series lenses.

Your investment is perfectly safe.

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
Bill,

I'm not sure the Oly has ever said this is their 'Pro' version (ie, weatherproof, etc). However, it does seem to be the case that they are starting to give us Pro lenses.

The E-P3 offers a professional level of controls.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
Olympus has said that the pro pen is several years away. They never called the E-P3 a pro camera. The description says "hobbyist or advanced photographer". I think it's another step toward a pro micro43 camera but they are not quite there yet when compared to the best offerings from Nikon and Canon. This is not a criticism; they are new style of system and are making progress as fast as they can. (Of course, I grew up in an era when a new camera every five years was a big deal.) Olympus and Panasonic are making different choices which have lead to different style systems which gives us a choice.

Pelao

Mu-43 Top Veteran
If you don't need fast autofocus, GH2/G3 are ahead of the E-P3.....Looks like I'll be sticking with my E-PL2...

I think we need to be careful here. The new Olympus models certainly seem to have faster autofocus, but the Gh2 and G3 also have fast autofocus.

RT_Panther

Mu-43 Legend
I think we need to be careful here. The new Olympus models certainly seem to have faster autofocus, but the Gh2 and G3 also have fast autofocus.

That's why I said they're ahead of the E-P3 :wink: (especially since Panasonic has the better sensor) :wink:

Armanius

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Muttley
Just in case any one else is interested in another review on the EP3 check it out...

Review: Olympus EP-3 (and 12mm F/2) at The Phoblographer

I am wanting that 12mm though to go along with my GF1 + 20mm combo:wink: but im a little torn between the 14mm pancake pany has.

Very informative review by the Phoblographer! Review gives a good look at the fast AF of the EP3 in low light conditions. I am EXTREMELY impressed. Seems like the DR is improved as well.

RT_Panther

Mu-43 Legend
So here's the tough question....
Do you folks prefer the Photoblographer review simply because it's positive review is more tolerable than the more negative review posted?

(i.e., any "negative" review will be disregarded due to you being biased?)

Latest threads

Top Bottom