135mm or 105mm f2.8 lens recommendation

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by finja, Oct 8, 2010.

1. finja

finja Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 29, 2010
    I'm looking to buy a fast prime in 135mm or 105mm to use on my E-PL1. I see many brands on ebay that I've never heard of but they all look like they are the same lens!

I want something relatively cheap. Any recommendations are welcomed.

2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Do you want it to have somewhere between 105-135 on camera? Remember that the EPL-1 has a 2x multiplier so a 135/3.5 would be the equivalent of a 270/3.5 on the camera.

If what you want is a 105-135 lens then I should think the Pentax Super Takumar 105/2.8, the Olympus OM 135/2.8 and the slower Konica 135/3.2 would all be good options. I don't particualrly like buying on eBay. I find their prices to be inflated. Try looking in the for sale section of this site, fourthirdsphoto, Fredmiranda, Getdpi and even the Pentax forum. Perhaps posting a WTB ad in some of them.

3. finja

finja Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 29, 2010
    I prefer 105mm but found very few lenses available at that focal length so I don't mind trying 135mm. Most of the 135mm lenses I see on ebay look very similar to one another and are brands I'm not familiar with. Some examples: Vivitar, Chinon, Rexatar, Auto Opticam, Alpex, Focal... are they all of similar quality?

Thanks for the advise on the "for sale" sections... I'll definitely take a look at the lenses you recommended.

4. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Old Pentax lenses are known to be good, the M 135 mm F3.5 is typically very cheap (but (A) F2.8 of course more expensive).
    - I bought M 135 F3.5 for 30 Euro's (and had many to select from)
    - I am trying to get the A 135 F2.8 for less than 100 Euro's...

5. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    I'm quite pleased with my Canon FD 100/2.8 and 135/2.8. The 100mm in particular is small and light (75mm long and weighs 333g, both measurements including the adapter), so goes well with a micro 4/3 camera.

6. dko22

dko22 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Stuttgart, Germany
    what about the 105mm f2.5 Nikon AIS? Regarded as one of the classics and I was certainly happy enough with it to want to try it with the G1. Although I remember on one forum a comment saying it was rather soft, I can assure you that is not the case -in fact it seems if anything even crisper than on Nikon bodies. Admittedly more testing required still --perhaps I will uncover some weakness tomorrow when I plan to use it a bit.

7. Dunkeld

Dunkeld Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    I just got a Canon EF adapter for my E-P2 which now enables me to use my Canon fit Sigma 105 f2/8 macro. This is one lens I hate to be without.

8. stanleyk

stanleyk Guest

May 26, 2010
    I would recommend the Kiron 105mm. Great lens, incredible bokeh. You can usually find them on Ebay in all kinds of mounts. The Pentax mounts (I have two of them just in case one goes bad...) are sometimes the most expensive because of Pentax's in body stabilization makes them very attractive and they almost always have the "A" setting on the aperture ring. I've seen Nikon mounts go pretty cheap.

It's really an incredible lens.

9. stanleyk

stanleyk Guest

May 26, 2010
    Oh yeah, the Vivitar Series I 105mm is really the same lens since Kiron made them for Vivitar. Can't go wrong with that one either.

10. finja

finja Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 29, 2010
    Thanks for all the opinions. I guess I should stay away from the lenses I listed in my earlier post...

11. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Hi, Finja,

many good lenses at those popular focal lengths.
    I'm very happy with my Micro-Nikkor 105/2.8, that allows you to shoot at close range (up to 1:2) but is also a great performer for general photography.

If you're looking for something special, take a look at Leica Hektor 135/4.5. Not the fastest, not the sharpest, but a very special look comes over your pics with that lens !!!

C U
    Rafael

12. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    The 135mm lenses are so ubiquitous that there are very few poor ones that I have seen (though many mediocre ones). I an shopping for 1 fast Pentax 135mm 2.8 myself but and also looking at the Nikons because they are more plentiful and less expensive. I prefer Pentax because they are smaller. I have not used Olympus lenses but as far as size and reputation they would be worth a look in my opinion.

I have a Pentax 100/2.8 that I love (https://www.mu-43.com/f40/show-us-w...s-like-your-camera-473/index31.html#post54071).

Pentax made a 120/2.8 if you can't make up your mind between 100 and 135.

13. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
  14. Nordentro

Nordentro Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2010
    Norway
    Sankor made 105mm f/2.5 could be a good choice :smile:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  15. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Konica made 135mm lenses in 2.5. 3.2 and 3.5 the 3.2 being the sharpest. They also had a 100mm 2.8 that is very good.

16. Jimboh

Jimboh Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2010
    Florida
    105 & 135mm

I have Canon FD 135mm and nikkor 105 F, Both f2.5. I'd pick the Nikkor for two reasons.

First, it seems the nikkor F to m43 adapters do not have the apeture ring on them like many canon adapters do (my experience is limited here). This is really annoying, as I have had the canon's F-stop at one setting but the freely turning adapter ring changes it to a different setting. I'd like to weld it in place. I painted alignment marks with nail polish for now.

Second, the Canon 135 I own is significantly bigger/heavier than the nikkor 105.

That said, you should also considerthe wonderful Canon 85 1.8. Nice piece of glass without the price premium of the 1.4 cousin.

(Anyone know how to weld?) :biggrin:

17. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    That's all a bit odd. My (cheap) FD adapter has a simple open/close switch - in one position the lens is wide open and in the other you can stop down the lens. Quite useful actually.

The Canon 100mm f/2.8 is also small/light (much less than the various 135 lenses).

18. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I have both the Canon 135mm f2.5 and the 85mm f1.8. I haven't experienced any problems with the aperture setting ring, but I have a Cirrus FD adapter and all it has is a switch that releases the lens from the mount.

I don't use the 135mm very often because I have the Panasonic 14-140mm lens, but here's a picture I took of a baby deer with the 135mm. I bought the lens on eBay for about $45.

Attached Files:

19. tamrong

tamrong Mu-43 Regular

Jul 17, 2010
    chiangmai, thailand
    nikon 105mm f2.5 is one of the Nikon legacy lens

very sharp and great contrast .. highly recommend

20. arpoador

arpoador Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

If you're looking for small, my favorite is the OM Zuiko 100 f/2.8. It's pretty easy to find, not that expensive. Look for one in good shape, because they don't command much of a premium over one that's beat up, and look for a later one with "Japan" - rather than "made in Japan" on the rim. It's small enough with the adapter to throw in a bag. I have two, but just because the second one became available with a sequential serial number (!) and I couldn't resist. One of them has been hogging an adapter for months:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you're looking for a bright one, I really like the Nikon 105 f/1.8. It cuts incredibly thin focal planes when wide open, but is kind of heavy. I like it much better on a G2 than on the E-P2.
    [​IMG]

When you stop it down, it can give you really beautiful Nikon stars:
    [​IMG]
    I also have a nice Nikon 135 f/2.8, which I use when I want the Nikon effect, but it generally loses out to ...

My favorite lens in this range right now is a Contax (Carl Zeiss) 135 f/2.8. It's bulkier than the Olympus or Nikon lenses of this same spec, but I think it "paints" a more beautiful image. Not only is it amazingly sharp wide open, but it also renders colors more faithfully than any other legacy lens I have. I hadn't even been aware that this was possible, until I started comparing similar images made with different lenses. Here are a few Contax images:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8