12mm voigtlander in Nikon mount with M43 shift adaptor

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by gardnergareth, Jun 28, 2011.

1. gardnergareth

gardnergareth New to Mu-43

Jun 28, 2011
    London UK
    Hi everyone
    I've already posted this over at dpr, but thought there might be people on here interested in my little experiment!

I've just uploaded to my website an article about using a voigtlander 12mm ultra wide heliar, with a modified Fotodiox-branded shift adapter on my Olympus E-P2.

You can read about my experiences here:
    The world’s smallest view camera? | GARETH GARDNER

And there are some further sample images here:
    Chiswick Park: More samples of Olympus E-P2 shift adapter combo | GARETH GARDNER

I plan to post further images as and when the rain stops here in London!

I'm happy to answer any questions anyone might have about this rather arcane set-up.

Thanks for looking.
    Gareth

• Like Like x 8
  2. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    It may be arcane but it's fabulous. I am not much of a fan for the current crop of post production software linear and perspective/distortion correction applications... they seem to mud the picture up. Yours does it the right way, in the glass.

Bravo!

Bokeh Diem

3. gardnergareth

Jun 28, 2011
    London UK
    Thanks for your kind words! Yes, it certainly appeals to my love of getting things right at capture stage, rather than too much tweaking in post. It must be from my years using an old-school large format camera.

And the camera with the lens looks so cool too. Not that it matters, but it fills me with great pleasure!

4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I can understand that, just a nice warm feeling ... it is great when everything comes together in a synergistic fashion.

G

5. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Wow. Now that's a setup I envy but wouldn't have thought of. Having stood in that spot in the British Museum and taken a photo, I totally get what you mean, too.

6. Messiah Khan

Messiah Khan New to Mu-43

Jul 2, 2011
    I am very interested in what you have done here. I am soon to order my first MFT camera as a lighter alternative to my full Nikon DSLR setup. I will be going for an Olympus E-P3 and need a long lens for wildlife (Maybe the 75-300mm), a standard lens for people etc (probably the Voigtlander 25mm f0.95) and a wide lens for landscape and architecture. This will be the most important and most used lens.

The original plan was to go for the new 12mm f2 lens from Olympus, but your setup does open up another possibility. One question though; why did you use the Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 SL as opposed to the standard 12 mm f/5.6 Ultra Wide Heliar in M bayonet fit? Do you think it would also work with the non SL lens?

7. jonboy62

jonboy62 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    I suspect the register distance is too short to allow a "M" mount lens to work. By the time you add the thickness of the shift adapter the rangefinder lens is out of room.
    Nice try; I thought of that too.

8. gardnergareth

Jun 28, 2011
    London UK
    Hi everyone, and sorry for the delay in responding.

My choice of mount was simply driven by availability - as far as I'm aware, there is no M mount shift adapter available. Otherwise, the whole project would have been much easier, as it's much much easier to obtain the 12mm in M mount.

I also thought of buying the Canon mount and then using various adaptors to use my Olympus, Nikon etc lenses. However, after chatting with SRB Griturn, I concluded that there would be too many elements clipping together, increasingly the possibility of problems.

Having used the kit now for a couple of months, I can definitely say that it's a brilliant carry-everywhere solution. I usually take my shift adapter with 12mm, plus perhaps my Nikon cheapie 28 or 50mm lenses, plus the Panasonic 20mm for "normal" photography!

9. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Now, get the tilt adapter, to get a real view camera, not a field camera. Also, the new owners of an Oly 12/2.0 might feel they miss something. :biggrin:

(I'd hate to put your setup side by side with my FF 24 T/S setup: its lens shade alone would give you a nice gadget bag...)

10. jonboy62

jonboy62 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    This idea has been so interesting I bought an adapter from Fotodiox also; the Eos/Olympus OM model. I bought a Canon FD 7.5mm fisheye lens used from KEH that will arrive tomorrow. So, with the FD to EOS adapter I will see what happens at 15mm effective view. The widest FF lens I have is a Tamron 17mm which is not all that impressive a wide angle when used on a 4/3 camera.

11. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Again, very fine work Garth... I had looked at your Chiswick series before... the choice of this Rogers building is wise, given the ultra-linearity of it all. I will have to do something about this myself, being an architectural type.

I had speken ze Deutsch poorly with someone in der Fatherland a year ago who was manufacturing purpose-built TILT-SHIFT adapters, but never got anywhere due to the inability to communicate. I am still on the hunt though.... I want both and don't want to have to go to a dinosaur-like FF 24 T/S setup.

Much appreciated.

Bokeh D

12. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    That sounds interesting! Could you give me the contact data for this company, maybe by PM? Communicating in German isn't too difficult for me. Thanks.

13. fcampbell48854

fcampbell48854 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 7, 2011
    Michigan
    Do you mean the wide angle view (more like a 34mm lens) isn't impressive, or that the image quality isn't impressive? As I recall the lens isn't very expensive. Perhaps it would work well as a shift lens with the Fotodiox adapter, if the image quality is good.

14. jonboy62

jonboy62 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    The wide angle is not all that impressive. Image quality seems to be OK.