12mm samyang vs 14mm panasonic

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Louhi, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Louhi

Louhi New to Mu-43

Apr 27, 2015
    Hi!

I'm new here and on the MFT system actually this is my first system camera. I bought my first oly epm-2 1,5 years ago. Recently I bought a panny 20mm and got a really good deal on the GX7 (300€ \o/) So I sold my epm with the kit lens. I also have legacy minolta rokkor 50mm f1.7 so the only lens I would really need is a wide angle.

I thought of getting the pana 14mm and then maybe getting the wide angle adapter on it but then I discovered the 12mm samyang f2.0.

Since the pana has gotten mixed reviews I thought might as well upgrade to a bit better glass straight away. Since the price would be about the same (pana 14mm 190€+adapter 100€ vs samyang 350€)

My real concern is the manual focus. How hard is it gonna be without the auto focus? Apparently the wider it gets the easier it is to focus it but still, is it good enough for some street photography as well?

What would be your pic?

2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Isn't 12mm too wide for street photography?

On the GX7 you have focus peaking so MF should be quite easy.

There are also a few zoom lenses that give you 12mm.

3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you're comfortable with MF on the 50mm f/1.7, 12mm f/2 is no problem, especially with focus peaking.

4. Louhi

Louhi New to Mu-43

Apr 27, 2015
    I guess what I mean is "scenery/architecture" photography. Since the 20mm panny will most likely fill most of my street photography needs. After I bought the panny 20mm I never slapped my kit zoom lens on anymore so I guess I'm more happy with primes atm so I don't think a zoom would be used.

5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

For scenery and architecture MF is no problem with just about any lens, you just need to have some idea of what the hyperfocal distance is. You'll be stopping down for more DoF and IQ most of the time so it will be very forgiving.

6. Louhi

Louhi New to Mu-43

Apr 27, 2015
    What would you guys pic? Since I'm missing a wide lens is there any other good options as well? I'm pretty sure the Samyang will be great but still want to get some feedback.

7. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    There is the Oly 12mm, the Kowa too, quite different prices. Not many others:

http://hazeghi.org/mft-lenses.html

A used Olympus? It depends on how much you want to spend, on how much is important for you the ultimate quality.

8. Louhi

Louhi New to Mu-43

Apr 27, 2015
    I am trying to go as low as possible but still better iq than a normal kit zoom.

9. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    I love the panasonic 14 2.5. Cost . size . sharpness. buy n try with little or no loss.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The 14mm f2.5 and 12mm f2 alone are pretty close in terms of performance. If you add the GWC-1 the 14mm becomes a bit wider than 12mm (at 11mm), but also introduces some softness and amplifies the CA. It is still quite good for an adapter, it is just not as good as a bare lens. The bonus with the 14mm setup, is that you also get 14mm and 11mm and you can run just the 14mm as a TINY setup. The 12mm is 2/3 a stop faster, going to be sharper than the GWC-1, but it's also a bit bigger and all manual.

The newer kit lenses are quite good in terms of IQ. I doubt you'll see much in terms of real world image quality moving to a prime lens. You will gain aperture advantage, though, which can make or break certain shots. If you don't need the speed, I'd also check out a 12-32mm pancake.

11. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Not to me... I use 12mm on my 12-40mm quite a bit when shooting street.

Some people shoot street with fisheye lenses; you can get people in frame who won't realize it.

Barry

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  12. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    12mm is pretty easy to do hyperfocal and/or zone focusing.

Barry

13. tino84

tino84 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2013
    I agree on 14mm. light, small, sharp, get wider with some converters, and you can get it for cheap

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    14mm for budget, but 12mm for serious (and it is still inexpensive compared to the Oly.) If you would automatically get an adapter for the 14mm, then unequivocally I would get the 12mm. The Samyang looks like a very nice lens, and for Landscape/Architecture with focus peaking, the MF would be perfect really. I intend on gettin one at some point when i can justify duplicating FL. Have you seen the reviews?

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/samyang-12mm-f-2-0-ncs-cs-mft-lens-review-26616
    http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2015/01/samyang-12mm-f2-review-compact.html
    http://www.lonelyspeck.com/rokinon-12mm-f2-0-ncs-cs-review/
    http://admiringlight.com/blog/review-rokinon-samyang-12mm-f2-0-ncs-cs-sony-e-mount/3/
    http://www.fotozones.com/live/index...ser-review-samyang-12mm-f20-fuji-x-mount-r112

There are others...

15. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    I can say what I did pick was the 14mm + the GWC-1 to allow me to switch between 14mm (which turns out to be wide enough for me lately) and then whack on the converter (kept in a pocket) when needed.

Kinda turns the 14 into a two for one deal

• Like Like x 1
  16. free2fish

free2fish Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2014
    The Samyang is an awesome lens. I use it primarily for night photos on my GX7 and I'm very pleased with the results. Highly recommended!

17. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I said the same, but it is not hard to crop from 12 to 14, either.

18. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I had the 14 and the wide angle converter but the IQ was not great nor was it fun to remove and reattach the converter. Thus, I now have the 12-32. I chose it for sharpness and size. 12-50 gives u an all around solution with macro and weather seal. Those are both cheap. 12-32 beats the 14 @ 14mm, BTW.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    so I see ... my post was not meant to appear to contradict yours, just add my experience to answer the question of the OP.

20. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    I see that the SamYang has a 67mm filter thread ... currently its akward to use a polarizer filter on my GWC-1 ... that might be a point.