12mm on EM10 (focus peaking)

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jcm5, Jul 16, 2014.

1. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    Hi,

I'm using the 12mm Olympus lens on my EM10 and I'm wondering if there is a way to enable focus peaking when I push the ring down to manual mode (on the lens)? What I mean is the body is normally on S-AF + MF mode so it auto focuses when in auto mode (including the lens) but when I pop the lens ring down to manual mode, it doesn't seem to do focus peaking even though focus peaking is turned on and further I guess because the body is on S-AF + MF mode, the minute I press the button, it will re-focus auto.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something here, I'll keep messing around with the various modes but in the end, what I'm looking for is for the lens/body to be on auto-focus mode when the lens ring is in the auto position but then be able to do manual focus and focus peaking when I pop the ring down to manual mode (and for the autofocus to not kick in when I press the button halfway). Is this possible?

Thanks

2. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I don't have the 12mm but do have the 17mm/1.8 and the EM10 and at least on the 17mm it does not work by using the manual clutch (wish it did). Know it does work - for some reason, probably the price - on the 12-40, but I know it doesn't work on my 17mm.

3. jmrf

jmrf New to Mu-43

Feb 2, 2013
    The EP5 is the same. To get around it I assigned peaking to one of the fn buttons so I can turn it on whenever I want. This is also useful when using adapted lenses.

4. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    Thank you for the replies. I didn't realize the manual clutch wouldn't activate the focus peaking if you remain in AF mode. I might take jmrf's suggestion to assign a button to peaking.

5. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    That is what I have in one of My Sets - button to activate FP. I don't have the camera nearby right now, but I think I remember (always an iffy proposition) that if you just change the AF to MF on the camera, then you will get the Focus Peaking - assuming you have it set up as your manual focus assist.

6. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    Yes, I know if it was on MF mode peaking works perfectly fine on my EM10 even without assigning a button. My question was whether given I'm in AF mode, and I pop down the focus ring to manual mode using my Oly 12mm, that the camera would recognize this and allow me to manual focus AND would activate peaking (which it doesn't as far as I can tell)