1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

12mm lens shoot out: Olympus f2.0 vs Panasonic f1.4

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by JoFT, Aug 4, 2016.

1. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    The new kid on the block is out. I just got a copy. And I made some first experiences.

The price tag of the Leica is hefty. But there are feature which are a game changer: and this is bokeh. Produced by a very close focal distance.....

f2.0 closest distance.JPG

In addition to the faster speed of the lens it results in the following image: max bokeh test .JPG

I made a real world review about both lenses: µ43 lens shoot out: Leica Summilux f1:1,4 12mm vs Olympus M.Zuiko 12mm f1:2.0

It will be very interesting to get your response.

• Like Like x 8
    • Useful Useful x 4
  2. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Great review and shots. I was thinking of picking this up to replace my pl 15.

I already have the pl 25 and pl 43.

Is the 12 worth the replacement? I shoot mostly family stuff. I am waiting for a 17.5 1.2 or 1.4 from pl. mind you I will use this for stills and video.

• Like Like x 1
  3. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    I'd have been more interested if the presented images were exactly the same and not different subject distances with different focal points.

I clicked on the link, and yes, that lack of consistency followed through.

It more or less makes it impossible to make a determination of the differences.

I've posted quite a few lens comparisons on my blog

in my view ...: fifties - FD 1.4 compared to OM 1.8
    in my view ...: micro four thirds: four fifties flare

and another blog that I recommend is Tysons who's done a more modern take of what I do.
    *Olympus 45mm f/1.8 vs the Contax G Zeiss 45mm f/2

also testing renderings at infinity (or really greater than 10 meters with this focal length) is fairly pointless as the DoF variances will be nill and bokeh will not exist because it will be all "in focus"

otherwises its just a bunch of pretty pictures

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    12mm and 15mm are different focal lengths, with difference characteristics even if you "zoom with your feet"

5. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    Ya, that's why I asked. With my 15 sometimes I need to get wider (theme park rides, elevators, etc.) also the lower light capabilities are always needed & welcome.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    If you go through the blog there are a couple of images which are made that way. Please feel free to scroll :)

In this case the the interesting thing was: the spec. In both cases closest focusing distance is 20cm. But the outcome is totally different. For me this is the most prominent difference!

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    The 12 is not a replacement. It is an add on for me. The 15mm f1.7 is the always with me walk around lens. And it is pretty tiny... My recommendation is keep it but add the 12mm....

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  8. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    I did

You asked for feedback I have mine.

9. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    Interesting comparison, @JoFT@JoFT. I'm liking the look of what that lens is doing, though it is awfully bulky. Be curious to see what it can do for astrophotography.

thanks for posting it!

• Like Like x 1
  10. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    6/8 are made exact same photo...
    1 is showing shortest distance from the same place
    1 is showing closest distance to the same subject
    Can you explain what is your topic? i am curious to know!

11. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    I am curious as well. I made some night shots recently

Various Locations
    Santa Fe July 2016

And after the shots I knew that the Leica lens will be very interesting for Astro shots....Hope to get a clear sky with low pollution soon.

12. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Thanks,

Great comparisons. I appreciate having the shots of the two lenses together also. This always helps put size in perspective.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    there is no topic ... your first post showed an attempt that makes comparison impossible

you asked for feedback on your page

I gave it

You seem displeased to not get a gold star on your wrist.

I said what I'm saying here .... that you asked for feedback and I offered it.

whats your topic? That I didn't goo and garrr about the images? If you wanted praise not feedback you should have said that.

You have seemed to fail to read my small amount of words:
    so no, MOST of your images were not good for picking the bokeh and character differences in the lens because of the focal distances chosen and the lack of focal distance comparison. The reasonably similar shots were taken at different distances, not the same position. Sure it shows that if focuses closely but does nothing to show the character of each lens on the same thing at the same distance with the same background.

Many do not use wide angle lenses for macro because of the twisted perspective it provides, but since you clearly do you thought to provide that aspect (which is interesting).

There were no images at mid distances to make effect of what a 12mm does well and thus show how the two lenses compare.

IF you had taken the flower shot (which is too close in my view to be of any usefulness) from the same spot with both lenses that would have shown differences which can be discerend between the lenses ... but by changing it focal distance is changed and the bokeh comparision is void.

I would cite photo examples but they are locked down.

The shot out the window to infinity (as I said above) does little to show the character of the lens as too does the shot of the page of paper.

AGAIN I only offer this BECAUSE YOU ASKED for feedback on the page.

I'm sorry you have taken this constructive criticism as a negative, personally I wish I'd never wasted my time looking at your page or commenting because you do not seem to take well any offer of guidance of how others see your work and what they may see lacking in the strategy of presentation of materials.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks for putting in the effort to make a comparison with the new lens! Few suggestions and comparison requests:

1. When comparing edge/corner sharpness it is much more helpful to have lateral CA correction turned on in a RAW converter. On many lenses it is lateral CA that actually limits corner sharpness and once corrected things look much better. So it is helpful to see how two lenses compare post correction since no one would ever not correct CA! In this example for instance both the 12/2 and 12/1.4 show lateral CA in the corner and the 12/2 appears to show a bit more. I suspect after correction the 12/1.4 will still look sharper but it'd be nice to see that comparison.

2. Infinity focus comparison at F/5.6 or so. One weakness of the 12/2 is that even when stopped down to F/5.6 the corners are bit soft due to field curvature (though that can be mitigated a bit by changing the focus point to balance the center and corner sharpness). I'd be curious to see how the 12/1.4 does when stopped down. Based on the wide open results you posted I suspect it might do better than the 12/2 when both are shot at F/5.6.

Again, thanks for sharing. I know these things take time and effort to do!

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. astrostl

astrostl Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Justin Honold
    Sheesh, tough crowd. Enjoyed the article, and subscribed to the site.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Having done a ton of these kinds of tests over the years, I can say that it's a fairly thankless task with an endless supply of critics. You have to enjoy doing the tests and ignore a lot of criticism to find it fulfilling.

Just speaking generally here, not commenting on anyone in particular...

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Well if you find your taking photos inside elevators (how often do you do this? :p), something wider is going to be useful. But the feel I get from you, is your tend to take photos of you kids?? 12mm will be fine if you want to get lots of the environment in, and your not getting too close with it. However once you start getting closer in, you'll probably notice perspective distortion... things closer to the camera will look bigger. I guess you could always switch to the 25/42.5mm when you want to get closer in. 12/25/42.5mm is not a bad, trinity of primes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    Thank you, Amin.
    Writing a review means understanding the gear better. Sharing the review means to collect response. This maybe results in critics - which helps to improve or add helpful content. But mostly I get very nice feedback.

For me a review should be fun to read - and a bit inspiring, too. I do not like to add MTF-curves and distortion diagrams. I find other topics more interesting. And for this review the topic with shortest focal distance comes out so different - that was just great. And to illustrate it.

I will continue to review new gear. And to share it. The next one will be about the Noctricron 42.5mm f1.2. In comparison to the Zeiss Milvus 85mm f1.4 on FullFormat. It is a bit of special approach. But here I found a similar topic: closest focal distance: The Leica is really superb with this feature...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. astrostl

astrostl Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Justin Honold
    I think this is a critical point for anything, not just photography: the best way to learn is to teach.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    Thank You.
    Ad1) I never turn on CA correction. Whenever I tested it I saw artefacts which I do not like. And this I saw in Aperture, in the Adobe staff and in DXO...
    Ad 2: The 12/2 isn´t a bad lens: it´s excellent! Especially for its size. But the 12/1.4offers more creative options...