12mm Lens Hood Choices?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Canonista, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    My 12mm Oly is on the way, and I'd like to get a non-OE lens hood if I can.

A search of this forum turned up just a few threads, with no definitive answer on how any of the third-party hoods perform.

One recommended alternative was this all-metal item on eBay, but I'm afraid that retention screw jutting out from the side will score the lens barrel:

[​IMG]

Another I came across is this all-metal screw-on filter, also on eBay, but I'm concerned it may vignette: eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Has anyone discovered a non-OE hood for this lens that actually works?

2. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I'd say that def would vignette
    I've got vented circular and a video rectangular hoods from eBay for my 12
    Both vignette

I'm thinking either you gotta buy the official one, or a biiig step up ring and then an eBay one to match
    Lol!

I caved and went for a Hoya hmc uv-0
    I read a comparison of uv filters on lenstip.com and they loved it. And it was cheap!

- Eliot

3. Canonista

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    You mean you got a filter in lieu of a hood? :confused:

I was looking at the owner's manual for the lens, and it appears the OE hood also has that Frankenstein hold-down screw. I may just try the knock-off version.

4. slau

slau Mu-43 Regular

Jan 26, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I have found the Contax G GG-2 metal lens hood works almost perfectly on my Olympus 12f2. It may not be easy to find one. I just happen to still own the Contax G system.

• Like Like x 1
  5. slau

slau Mu-43 Regular

Jan 26, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Here is an image showing the GG-2 hood mounted on the Olympus 12f2:
    original.

Btw, the GG-1 hood will work too but it is too 'thin' to be effective.

6. leuallen

leuallen Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2010
    Mackinaw, Il
  7. Canonista

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    I went with the JJC LH-48 replacement hood purchased from eBay, and tried it on this afternoon. Like the Olympus OE, it is made of metal (feels like aluminum) with a tightening screw that compresses a ring at the attachment point. The fit is quite good, and once tightened down, very snug. The finish on the outside is very good, closely mimicking the finish of the lens barrel. The inside is painted flat black, and if not for a few dust specks trapped beneath the paint, I would give it perfect marks. No vignetting with this hood, which is what one would expect from a direct replacement. For $37 including free shipping, that's almost one-third the price of the OE, so another good deal from JJC.

[​IMG]

Here it is next to the JJC replacement LH-40B hood on my 45mm lens.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1