1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

12mm f2 Limited Black Edition

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Arvin, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Arvin

Arvin Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2012
    Been playing with it today. Pretty fun and handsome on the OMD, but at $1099 (came with the hood and UV filter) I think I'm leaning towards returning it and going for the versatile 12-35 2.8 for around the same cost. I'll play with it in some daylight tomorrow and see if I change my mind.

Merry Christmas, guys!

[​IMG]

2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi..
    I haven't used 12-35 mm but I can tell u this lens ranks among the finest one. I used for few weeks but it was a loaned one n I loved it. Get the silver one and save USD500 then u can buy Panny 12-35 mm . The prices on Panny are coming down now.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

3. Arvin

Arvin Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2012
    So I went to a large camera store in Texas (Houston Camera Exchange) and I was able to try on the 45mm, 12-35, and 75mm and test them out.

75mm was amazing and super creamy - I had to impulse buy it on the spot. The build quality is outstanding and so is the subject isolation. I'm excited to try this out one on the streets back in Boston, but I imagine I will have to pay more attention to anticipate shots from afar.

The build quality on the 12-35 felt nice (albeit lighter than I expected), and although the images are not as nice at 12mm as the 12mm 2.0 I think I'll reserve this focal length for informal gatherings or close quarters at wedding gigs with a flash. The 12-35 feels more versatile especially with the weather sealing so I got it used/like-new on Amazon.

If any of you are on the fence, I'd recommend finding a place that will let you try them out since it helped me make my decision.

Now with the PL25 OL75 and P12-35 with FL-600R, I feel more confident about tackling some engagements/weddings!

4. brokken

brokken Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    I have both the Panasonic 12-35mm and the 12mm Olympus and I have to say that I prefer the Olympus lens over the Pany at that focal length. The quality is just a little bit better, the colors just a tad brighter. What really cinches it for me, is the ability to switch from automatic to manual mode by sliding the focus ring back - similar to how the the 12-50mm switches to macro mode. It's really convenient and I wish that Olympus would do that on all their lenses.

5. Arvin

Arvin Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2012
    I agree - the toggling focus ring was awesome (something I wish all the lenses had) and so was the image quality. Maybe it'll find it's place back in my kit again if I find the 12-35 lacking too much @ 12mm.

6. duvinclunk

duvinclunk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    That 12mm lens sure does look sharp on the black body. I wish they made the 45 and 12 in black as well (without being limited edition). Don't know why I'm anal about these things but it bugs me to have a black camera with a silver lens. :(

7. Dangermouse1968

Dangermouse1968 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2011
    ... because it looks cheap and nasty!!

I have the wonderful 45 pretty much constantly mounted on my black GF1 and hate the way it looks (but adore the picture quality). On the other hand there is no way on this planet I would pay double the price - I'm not that vain!!!

(... even if I was lucky enough to own a black OMD)

8. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I have a black OMD and I also don't like the look of silver lenses on black bodies, I have the silver 12 and the 75. The thing about the black 12 is that you also get a matching black metal lens cap, hood and a filter. I priced out how much it would cost to pick up a metal lens cap for my 12 and the Oly hood and overall it's much closer to the limited edition price point (given that I purchased the 12 when it was still full price), in fact I've already purchased the silver metal lens cap (the Oly hood never seems to be in stock). If I had to do it all over again, I would just buy the limited edition and pay the extra money, b/c I am that vain.

9. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    So Arvin, Did you play with it and do you have pics to share? Or did you take it back before getting any sharable pics?

10. Arvin

Arvin Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2012
    Hi Tom,

Unfortunately no - I returned it because I couldn't justify the cost and I don't typically shoot landscapes. The 12-35 is more than enough for me in tight spaces.

11. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    I had the silver 12mm and the focus ring mechanism was very slick. I just was not using it after getting my 12-35mm, so I sold it. Great lens and fantastic manual focusing mechanism. I wish Olympus put that on more of their lenses.