12mm and 45mm lens hoods

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MexicoMik, Apr 13, 2012.

1. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    A quick question that I haven't been able to find an answer to...

I don't have lens hoods for either lens but I do like lens hoods. From the B&H descriptions, it appears that the 12mm hood is a screw-in while the 45 is a clamp-on. Can the lens caps be placed on the lenses with the hoods mounted?

Oh...and 89 bucks for a lens hood (12mm)? WTF's up with that?:eek:

If there are less expensive alternatives that folks are pleased with, I'd be interested in any info.
  2. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    For the PL45 lens, I hated the one that came with it as it is inconvenient to use. I found a much better option in the B+W 46mm FOLDING RUBBER LENS HOOD #900 - BWLHR46 at B&H

It is a heavy duty rubber hood that you can leave on the lens all the time and just roll it down when needed. It is for a normal 50mm lens, so doesn't provide the shading of a true 90mm hood, but it works absolutely fine - no problems.

For the wide angle, I got for my 14-45 a B+W 52mm ALUMINUM WIDE-ANGLE HOOD #970 - BWLHWAM52 also at B&H. This is made for a 28mm lens so is perfect for the 14mm end of the range and way more convenient that the flip around hood that comes with the camera. However, I don't know if it would be wide enough for your 12mm lens. Do not get the B+W wide angle rubber lens, however, as it is flimsy and will drive you nuts. I chucked the one I got and love the aluminum one - I leave it on the lens all the time and no longer use a lens cap - it is on and ready to shoot. Here is the aluminum wide angle hood:

Both of these are screw-on and the lens caps can be used if desired - I use one with the PL45 but not the 14-45 lens.
  3. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    ^ I think he might be asking about the Olympus 45(?)

If so, the hood is reversible, and can accommodate the lenscap as well (though it's tricky to get the cap off when the hood is on the proper way....easy when the hood is reversed). The Olympus-branded hood is a huge rip-off imo, but there are several copies available on ebay for not much money.
  4. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    Sorry - I should have stated Oly 45. Though any rubber hood that would screw into the threads would work I guess. I used some of those back in my film days - hadn't thought about them for the oly lenses...
  5. BE Fotography

BE Fotography New to Mu-43

Apr 2, 2012
    London, UK
    I've been tempted by some silver ones on ebay for my Oly 45mm but after my secondhand Pany 20mm came with a step-up filter ring and more attractive petal-shaped number I'm a bit lost, now this means more choice and more penny saving!
  6. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    There's a JJC knockoff of the 45mm hood for cheap:
    LH-40B | eBay
  7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I have the standard Oly 45mm lens hood. It is reversible and the lens cap snaps in either position. I go sans hood on the 20mm, because I use it for street stuff. Less conspicuous without a hood. Most here use vented, Leica or Leica knock-off hoods for the 20mm. Very good looking hoods, especially the vented video (square) hoods are quite sexy.

8. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    This is what I would have bought if I had known how cheap the oly hood quality was...and for more than triple the price.
  9. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    Just this week I solved a lens hood problem for my Oly original 14-42 with its oddball 40.5mm filter ring. The way I did it would probably work for you too:

Step-up rings on eBay are two or three bucks. I stepped my lens up to 52mm because there is a plethora of Nikon hoods in that size and that's the filter size for my 9-18mm. The "F" series lenses used 52mm as a standard from the wides up through the 200/f4.

I then rummaged through my local camera store's used/junk Nikon hood box, checking for vignetting as I went. In the end, they charged me $10 for a hood and a cap, then threw in a second hood for free.

Nikon wide-angle lens hoods all seem to be screw-in style. The 35mm/f2.8 hood screwed in and worked just fine as-is but it is not reversible. So I chose to cut down a snap-in style hood that would reverse on the lens.

I have a lathe, so I could buy a hood and easily cut it down to suit. A belt sander would do the same job, though taking more time.

I think this approach would work for almost any situation where an OEM hood was not available or rapaciously priced. There's no reason to stick with 52mm, either. Other sizes would open up options from other camera models.

10. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    I bought the knock off for the 45.
    I bought an aftermarket for the 12 but it looked silly, so I got the Oly one.
    Looks and works great.
  11. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    I got an inexpensive metal screw on hood for the Olympus 45mm that works fine. Usually I keep the filter on, screw the hood onto that and use the lens cap on the hood, which remains semi-permanently attached. Works for me.
  12. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    "Usually I keep the filter on, screw the hood onto that and use the lens cap on the hood"

So the 45 oly lens cap will also attach to the hood? From pics it looked to me like the hood for the 45 had a larger inner diameter than the lens so it looked to me like the lens cap would be too small to "engage" the hood.

"I bought an aftermarket for the 12 but it looked silly, so I got the Oly one"

is this the aftermarket 12 hood you referred to: eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

From pics it looks about the same as the oly - what didn't you like about the appearance?
  13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    On the Oly 45mm, the lens cap snaps into the filter/lens. You can remove/reverse the hood without touching the lens cap. You can install/remove the cap with the hood in the operational position.

14. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    I didn't pay olympus that high price they are asking. Both my hoods are from jcc (ebay) and the caps work but not as well as a center pinch cap since while grabbing it I touch the inner mate paint of the hoods (finger prints are left). DSC_9842.
  15. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Erm, what the hell is that in the hot shoe of your Pen?? :confused: :smile:
  16. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    A third party Optical Death Ray Camera Viewfinder Gun.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I thought it was one of those things doctors use to check your ear? :eek:
    Had no idea you can use it as a VF too.

Gonna go see my doc now. :cool:
  18. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    The heck with hoods, I want that hot shoe thingie! It appears to be either a death ray as Gary noted or some sort of quantum wormhole time travel device.
  19. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I own both Olympus and although I feel they are both pricey I'd say both are worth the money. If you are going to spend upwards of $900 on a lens then just figure in the price of the hood as the true cost and make the purchase.

There is a visible difference with both lenses mainly the 12mm 2.0 which because of its wide angle is prone to flare.

This is my philosophy: I am buying into a system not a camera. The lenses, filters, memory cards, tripods, bags and anything else that is not specific to the camera body should last several body change. These items when purchased well do make a big difference, when used together, with the quality of the file.

I also am old school so I like to get the shot right in camera and use Lightroom to enhance an already good capture. I grew up shooting slides so I guess that philosophy carried over to digital.

That said buy the Olympus branded hoods. They were designed by the same team of engineers that designed the lens. They are designed to let in the optimum amount of light to get the best picture quality possible. Anything else compromises the file quality you're creating.

Also think about the cost of ownership over the life time of your lens it's not that bad and if you do decide to sell the lens you get more money for it and it will sell faster.

Hope this helps.
  20. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    "I grew up shooting slides so I guess that philosophy carried over to digital."

Yep, me too; I appreciate all the input. I was out doing a lot of shooting at a local museum today with the 12/45. They are just wonderful lenses. I'll go ahead and order the Oly hoods.