12mm/20mm or 14mm/25mm - which pair is more versatile?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by zucchiniboy, Sep 16, 2012.

1. zucchiniboy

zucchiniboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    San Francisco
    I've currently got a 14/20/45 trio, which I really enjoy. Nevertheless, I'm thinking of one of the two non-budget primes: the 12 or the 25. There are times I wish the 14 was a tad wider, and other times that the 20 was slightly tighter and faster focusing.

If I picked one, which do you think would open up more photographic possibilities? In other words, a 12/20/45 or a 14/25/45 trio?

2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    If I were in your shoes, I'd get the 25 and the panny wide angle adapter for 14. The wide angle gives you a 10.5 or 11, I believe. Making it a litte wider than the 12 and still a 2.5 which isn't that much slower. I personally have both, and for myself I use the 25 at least twice as much as the 12. My dilemma at the moment is if I should keep the 12, as I have recently got my hands on the panny 7-14, and don't know if I can justify keeping the 12 just for the speed.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Depends what you shoot more. If you live in the wide end, get the 12/20 by all means. If you find yourself shooting at the "normal" focal length, get the 14/25.
  4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    What he said! For me it's the 12, 14, 17, 45 - I live at the wide end and don't mess with anything in the middle (I have a 53mm equivalent on another camera but I very rarely use that lens either). I basicaaly use the 12mm 90% of the time and the 45 for specific applications and just keep the 14 and 17 around because theyre not worth much to sell and every now and then i like a change of pace or something really small to shoot with. Your needs may be different.

5. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Just get both =)
  6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I have all of those lenses. For what I shoot, which is a lot of people, I have to force myself to use the 25mm. The 25mm is too 'normal' for my tastes, one of the elements I relish of photography is the photog's ability to affect the scene, to make it different than how we naturally see the world. The 25mm sees the world pretty much as our eyes. But, (the big but), the 25mm is spectacularly sharp with wonderful bokeh (the 20mm is no tramp but the 25mm has a edge in it's rendering which I appreciate). For that slightly different and special rendering, I am forcing myself to use the 25mm over the 20mm.

If it were I, (actually it is me as I have those lenses), I'd choose the 12mm, 25mm and 45mm combo (then toss in the 75mm, an absolutely wonderful lens).

PS- Keep the 14mm and/or 20mm keep them for their pancake size, a very useful feature (at least one of them).
  7. mfj197

mfj197 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    Guildford, UK
    I've the same 14/20/45 trio but for me the 14 just isn't wide enough and isn't sufficiently different from the excellent 20. So I've just bought the 7-14 here on mu-43 and will be getting rid of the 14. It's a lovely little lens but I think I'll have a lot of fun with the ultra-wide I've replaced it with.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  8. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    What they said!
  9. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    The three lenses I usually carry with me at all times are the 12mm, 17mm and 25mm. If I know I'm just doing portraits I'll usually switch the 12mm with the 45mm.

On that note I just got the 75mm and I love this lens but I also think it's a bit too long for most of the shooting I do ... so it probably won't get as much use.

If the rumored new Olympus 17mm f/1.8 (essentially the same build as the 12mm, including MF ring) turns out to be as good as most Oly lenses then that will shake things up for me. I really like the way the current 17mm f/2.8 renders, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't love to open up the lens to f/1.8 in low light.
  10. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    This is really a very personal choice. I much prefer the angle of view of the 20mm over the 25. I never much cared for the 50mm lens on 35mm cameras, either. With the narrow (more square) aspect of m43, I like the 25mm FOV even less.

I feel the same way about the 12 vs. 14 comparison. 28mm was always the wrong compromise for me. Too wide to provide a natural perspective shooting inside, but not wide enough to really give that wide-angle "look" outdoors. The 24mm equivalent is a true wide angle.
    • Like Like x 1