120fps on E-M1 II ?

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
One of my biggest wishes for the E-M1 II is to get slow-mo video. I'm not as concerned about 4K60, but would REALLY like to get 120fps 1080p video. I created a thread a while ago, asking how Olympus could create a camera that can shoot 60fps in RAW, but only 60fps in 1080p video (essentially 2MP JPGs). People chimed in, saying it's not as easy as that, blah blah blah, and the thread just kind of died.

When on DPR today, I saw that news about how Fuji had pulled the FW 4.0 update for the XT2, but when I was reading about the update, I saw that Fuji had added 120fps video as part of a FW update.

I know that the E-M1 II has FAR more processing power than the X-T2, so if Fuji can add 120fps 1080p video to the the X-T2, why can't Olympus do the same for the E-M1 II? They already managed to improve the C-AF performance. Adding true slow-mo video would be icing on the cake for what is already a fantastic camera. Given Olympus' focusing aids and incredible stabilization, I surely can't be the only person that would welcome this feature, right?

dlentini

Mu-43 Regular
+1

And fix support for PDAF during video also.

I guess we might need to wait for FW 4.0 also, if Olympus ever going to improve anything related to video.

techsplorer

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rodion "Rod" Molina
+1

I’m with you. The other day I had to pull out my iPhone to do slow-mo 1080p even though I had my E-M1.2 in hand. Annoying to say the least, knowing that it’s most likely not a processing power limitation for the E-M1.2.

paul macro

Mu-43 Regular
I have a g9 for slow motion great but no af manual focus only why when it does 4k 60 with af

Real Name
Loren
That complaint has been made to Olympus engineers in the past, though I’d be hard-pressed to find the video of the E-M1X discussion where I heard it. The impression I got (which admittedly is worth almost nothing) was that they’re aware of the gap and are working on it. I just think Olympus had never focused on video in the past and now are playing catchup.

I think we discussed this before, but there are slow-motion recording options in the camera. I can’t vouch for how well they work, since I‘m only recently dipping my toes into videography.

Ruairi

New to Mu-43
I happily stumbled upon the slow and fast motion options today while looking to see if it did 120fps (it doesn't, hopefully that will be added). From SCP, scroll to the custom video mode, then settings, and there are slow or fast motion options from between 0.4x and 8x, provided you're in FHD 24p Ultrafine or lower. The record speed options become more limited the higher fps, bitrate and resolution you record in.

Hadn't heard a thing about this feature. Bit of an easter egg.

Last edited:
Well, after the EM5ii release, the EM1 was thrown a few tidbits in a firmware release that it was lacking when compared to the new smaller upstart...

FrayAdjacent

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
M@
And now the E-M5iii has 120fps FHD, so...
It does, but it's a relatively low bitrate. 23Mbps if I recall.... so it'll shoot 120FPS, but it's a bit 'nerfed'. I've preordered the 5 MkIII as an upgrade to my MkII. I've shot video on the MkII, and I like the 1080p quality at both 30 and 60, but the C-AF is TERRIBAD. So I'm hoping that the AF system is good in at least 1080p 30 and 60, and all the 4k framerates. I can live with it being a little less good at 120FPS. I wouldn't even mind if the 120FPS didn't record audio.

I'm sure there are some 'nerfs' to the 120FPS mode... we'll have to wait for some of the more in-depth reviews to come out to find out what they are.

FrayAdjacent

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
M@
It's just like the E-M1X in that the 23Mbps refers to the output file at 24p rather than the recording bitrate. It's recording at ~100Mbps.
Ahh. I saw Robin Wong's little video he made with the 5MkIII, and he used a couple clips shot at 120FPS, and they looked very good, even mixed in with some of the C4K out of that camera, the quality didn't look to be lacking at all.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom