1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

12-volt Battery Charger for G5?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by scott, Jun 21, 2013.

1. scott

scott Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2010
    Does anybody know of a battery charger for G5 batteries that will run off of 12-volt DC power? (Or any DC power, really.) I'm just wondering how to get a power supply that I can use when we're camping or are in other places without power, but first I need to find a charger that will run off of something other than 110V AC.

2. DC Chargers

Your best bet is to pick up a small, cigarette lighter type, inverter. With one of these you can use all your AC chargers and other small AC devices as well.

I purchased a $50, 60w, Radio Shack unit years ago to charge a laptop. Now it tends to be used more for cell phone charging, but it gets used for the camera occasionally as well. It's small and light and you can take it with you whenever you are traveling away from stationary AC outlets.

3. scott

scott Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2010
    Thanks--I hadn't seen those before, but I'll definitely look into it.

4. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I have a couple of these for different cameras. They work fine but their long term quality is questionable. Still they're a lot easier than carrying an inverter and charger and you can leave your good charger home safe.

panasonic g5 battery charger | eBay

They're available from lots of different sellers on eBay so look around. If you don't mind waiting they're less than $10 shipped with a battery from China sometimes.

5. They have these inverters at most large truck stops for around $25.00. It has four 110 plug receptacles and two USB ports. They also had single outlet 110 volt inverters for $15.00. If you go for the USB cigarette lighter charger be certain to have at least one 2.1 amp out many just have 1.0 which will not charge an iPad.

6. scott

scott Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions!

7. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Yes, inverter is the best way... there are tiny inverters now.

8. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Define "best"?

I'll help you out:

• If you have only your original factory charger, you have to take it everywhere you need remote charging making it vulnerable to loss or mishap.
    • The inverters are generally as much or more as an aftermarket charger, and now you have something else to carry.
    • If you change cars or get in with someone and you leave it in the other car, you are SOL. That's easy to do.
    • You can't charge "undecoded" aftermarket batteries.

Here's the advantage of the small third party charger:
    • The aftermarket chargers take up MUCH less room than the factory charger and inverter.
    • They are dirt cheap.
    • You can easily carry it and the 12 volt cord in your bag -- quite small relatively, and it has the fold out 120v plug as well. When you grab your bag you always have what you need.
    • If you lose it, you still have a charger at home.

That's what I call "best", lol.

It will charge aftermarket batteries which some have (I do) and often the factory chargers want "decoded" batteries that may not be available or affordable. When I first got my E-M5 you couldn't get a factory battery to save your life.

9. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I said best coz if I have 5 gadgets or more I have no problem charging them all on my inverter while I am driving. Also other passengers or people can also plug their normal chargers if they need to while travelling.

I used to carry:

Laptop
    Ipad
    Ipod
    2 cameras
    2 Cellphones

If I got separate chargers for all of them there won't be enough sockets to plug them all. :D

Anyway lots of ways to do it so I guess yours is the best for you. But for me an inverter is the best IMHO.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

10. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    That makes more sense. What I did was challenge the simple type of statement made TOO OFTEN on forums: "This is best".

There is no best. It's all circumstantial and individual which is why I say things the way I did. I do bristle when I hear somebody tell someone that has asked for advice that "X is best". It's too pedantic and not in touch enough with reality, lol.

Forums should be for sharing your experience and evaluation -- but I really dislike somebody being on a soapbox saying something is the best since they may mislead the inexperienced.

But your explanation certainly makes your statement understandable so thanks. :drinks:

11. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Yeah I usually say a lot when I explain things but I dunno I was probably tired when I replied that day :biggrin: so I did not bother.

I think it's good the you pointed it out, forced me to think and explain:biggrin: