12 Great Deals in Micro Four Thirds

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    With apologies to our friends in other countries, this is a USA-specific list. If anyone would like to put together a similar list for a different country/region/continent, publish it in our Deals forum, PM to let me know, and I'll be very glad to promote it to the front page.

12 Great Deals in Micro 4/3 (in no particular order)

1) Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 pancake lens $170

Ebay: Panasonic Lumix H-H014 14mm F 2.5 AF Aspherical Lens For Four Thirds | eBay

Comments: These are new, not used, but don't come with box (presumably split off from kits). Excellent lens for a remarkable price. I paid twice as much and love it.

2) Refurbished Olympus E-PL1 body $129.95

Cameta Camera: Olympus PEN E-PL1 - Refurbished includes Full 1 Year Warranty

They also have refurbished E-PL1 14-42mm kits for $199.95: Olympus PEN E-PL1 & 14-42mm - Refurbished includes Full 1 Year Warranty

Also available new (not refurbished) from Cameta via Amazon as body only for $149.95 or body plus 14-150mm lens for $499.95 [thanks KH74].

Comments: $130 for a body is about as low as I have ever seen with a warranty. Great entry point into Micro 4/3 if you want to buy a specific lens separately, for example the Sigma 19mm f/2.8

3) Olympus E-PL1 / 14-42mm lens kit $269

Amazon: Olympus PEN E-PL1 kit at Amazon

Comments: Currently the best-selling compact system camera on Amazon. Lowest price entry point for standard zoom kit bought new.

4) Panasonic GF3 with 14mm f/2.5 pancake in used but very good condition $260.90

Amazon Warehouse Deals [thanks lenshoarder]: GF3 14mm kit at Amazon Warehouse

Comments: If you want to go as small as possible, this is a remarkable deal. The GF3 is a very fast focuser, especially with the 14mm pancake.

5) Panasonic GX1 body (black or silver) $399

Kenmore Camera [thanks danska]: PANASONIC LUMIX GX1 BODY BLACK

Comments: This is currently Panasonic's top of the line "rangefinder-styled" camera, offering a high performance sensor, their best autofocus, and premium build. We're starting to see price drops indicating near end of the product cycle, and this is a terrific deal.

6) Olympus E-PL2 / 14-42mm lens kit $299.95

Cameta Camera: Olympus PEN E-PL2 & 14-42mm II - Refurbished includes Full 1 Year Warranty

Comments: The E-PL2 is one of the best looking and handling bodies, has body image stabilization, and focuses faster than the E-PL1. Reasons to choose this over E-PM1 (Deal #7) would include built-in flash, preference for bigger camera/bigger grip, and preference for more retro look.

7) Olympus E-PL2 kit (red, black, or silver), 14-42mm lens, and 4GB SD card $299.99

Costco [thanks santiclaws]: Costco - Olympus E-PL2 Compact Camera System with 14-42mm Lens and 4GB SDHC Card

Comments: Same as above deal from Cameta, except this is new (not refurb) and shipping is $15 extra. I believe it's +5% for non-members and tax in most states.

8) Refurbished Olympus E-PM1 / 14-42mm lens kit $289.95

Cameta Camera: Olympus PEN E-PM1 & 14-42mm II - Refurbished includes Full 1 Year Warranty

Comments: Sleek, tiny, fast autofocus, image stabilized, and an awesome price. Later model camera than the E-PL2 so faster focusing, better video, more modern look.

9) Refurbished Olympus 14-150mm lens $329.95

Cameta Camera: Olympus M.Zuiko 14-150mm f/4.0-5.6 Micro ED Digital Zoom Lens - Factory Demo includes Full 1 Year Warranty

Comments: This is my favorite megazoom for any system because it's super small and light (for a megazoom), sharp with nice bokeh, and autofocuses quickly. It's not image stabilized on Panasonic bodies and suffers from some color fringing, but it's a no brainer at this price (sells new for $599).

10) Panasonic GH2 / 14-42mm lens kit $729

Amazon: Panasonic GH2 at Amazon

Comments: The GH series is Panasonic's flagship, and although the GH2 is nearing end of cycle, it remains easily one of the most capable Micro 4/3 cameras available for still photography and definitely the most capable for video. Amazon's price on this kit beats B&H and others by >$50.

11) Panasonic G3 body $469

B&H Photo: Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Digital Camera (Body)

Comments: This isn't on sale, but with the same guts as the GX1 plus a high-quality integrated electronic viewfinder and fully-articulated rear display, this is undoubtedly one of the best deals in Micro 4/3-dom.

12) Refurbished Olympus 40-150mm lens $149

Cameta Camera: Olympus M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 - Refurbished includes Full 1 Year Warranty

Comments: This is a great, light, small telephoto zoom. It has been replaced by the cosmetically different but functionally identical "R" model. Reasons to buy this over the 14-150 lens would be lower price and slightly better performance. Note: not image stabilized on Panasonic bodies.

To see or share more great deals, visit our Deals forum.
    so

• Like Like x 9
  2. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Not exactly helping, Amin. :wink:

• Like Like x 3
  3. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    :redface:Yeah, despite my earlier decision that I wasn't upgrading, I ordered a black GX-1 I don't need.

Do your duty as an American, help the economy and buy something.:th_salute:

Besides, think of the money you'll save.

4. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

Amazon Warehouse

I bought the amazon warehouse deal for the GF3 and the 14mm for 270. I plan on selling the GF3 and figured ill test the lens, see if i like it, if i can get at least 200 for the camera im golden. I was thinking of selling it here but i prefer ebay sometimes for these things.

Still, i did my part, THATS A GREAT DEAL!!!

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    LOL - some really nice deals out there. Hopefully some of the newcomers to the site will benefit. For long time members - more GAS! :biggrin:

6. KH74

KH74 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2012
    Western Australia
  7. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    Its never been easier to get in to micro four thirds! I dont need any of this because i have equivalent lens and camera but I still want some.

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  9. AndyT

AndyT Mu-43 Regular

So I just cracked and bought the 14-150 deal which I have been looking at over the past few days. Could have used it this past weekend to great effect, looking forward to giving it a go.

10. josh

josh Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2010
    thanks for the heads up. i bought the 14mm after looking at the native lens image thread for an hour! need something to hold me over while my 20 is at panasonic's repair center.

11. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think my bank account is about to suffer a loss! :biggrin: The hard part is what to get

12. michaeln

michaeln Guest

Kenmore Camera is now out of stock on the GX1 and the price has increased to $449.

13. josh

josh Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2010
    got the 14mm in the mail today...again, thanks for the heads up. what a SMALL lens!

14. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    I want that epm1 from cameta but they charge $90 for shipping to NZ !!! Thats insane! Considering i paid $110 to ship a 5dmkii, 70/200, 50, manfrotto tripod , plus accespries from b&h!!

15. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    I'd be happy to buy one and ship it to you, but I haven't shipped a camera body with the new USPS (US Postal Service) rules for lithium batteries, which usually means more expensive services from either UPS (United Parcel Service) or Fedex (Federal Express).

I bought so much crap from Cameta, that a couple of months back, my account was suspended for a month....they don't like selling to re-sellers.

16. KH74

KH74 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2012
    Western Australia
    Use a shipping forwarder. I use shipito.

Considering getting the EPL-1 from Cameta via Amazon, but they don't ship internationally via their Amazon page and don't offer the EPL-1 on their own website (it's only $149 from Amazon) so if I do get this, I will be using shipito.

17. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

If anyone is interested, a brick and mortar store in Paris, France, is retailing the E-M5 for 890€, and can ship. I am NOT affiliated to them in anyway, but I just thought I'd share.

18. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    I feel like the 14mm is one of the best deals available on any mount. Small, good IQ, fast AF, reasonably fast aperture. Wides like that don't go for under $200.

I think someone has one on sale here for even less. I bought mine for $150 on another buy and sell board.

19. drp

drp Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    Virginia, USA
    David
    Thanks

I just received an E-PM1 and a 14-150mm lens that I ordered from Cameta. I clicked through from Amin's descriptive post so this site would get whatever credit and/or goodies that Cameta provides as incentive.

Amin, can't thank you enough. Now I have to go hunt for E-PM1 hints elsewhere on the site.

David

• Like Like x 1
  20. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I just bought a refurbed E-PL1{body} for $119.00 of Cameta's ebay listings. Now I will have two and will keep one at work and for play. I also plan on getting an E-PL2 after next paycheck along with a lens or two.