1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

12 day trip around Europe (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by m43happy, Apr 5, 2016.

1. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Even though portraiture is my favorite type of photography, I do enjoy taking the occasional landscape shot when there's an opportunity to shoot something worthwhile. 6 months ago I planned out a 12 day trip to a few cities in Europe w/ a couple of friends of mine. Flying into London, flying out of Rome, and training it everywhere in between. It might as well have been one giant photowalk given how fast we traveled though each city. lol We tried to see as much as we could just to get a taste of each place. My feet hated me, but my eyes loved me.

LONDON
    i-CXpKK5m.
    i-9Dg53zx.
    I ate that cronut in the middle w/ the coconut on top. It was good, but too damn expensive. lol
    [​IMG]
    i-Bnz8c37.
    i-jMLQ3Gj.
    i-3jfwtFM.
    i-3p2tt55.
    i-3ScsBxz.
    i-fzQ3bF6.
    i-DHK7rCV.

RENNES -Passed though this city on the way to Mont Saint Michel.
    i-D5tgQKz.

MONT SAINT-MICHEL -One of my bucket list destinations I had to see in person.
    i-WRPjX38.
    i-VQTkcjs.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    • Like Like x 21
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    PARIS -Been here a couple times before, but photographing it still doesn't get old. :)
    Eiffel Tower lit up in the Belgium flag colors for Brussels.
    i-mdbpVRh.
    i-xdSNH9H.
    Street view of the Avenue des Champs-Élysées.
    i-nFvTTCB.
    i-xRGxpjP.
    The mad rush to photograph the Mona Lisa on a cell phone.....or tablet.
    i-XHgJtnF.
    View from the other side of The Grand Canal at Chateau de Versailles. 60min walk from that building you see below. lol
    [​IMG]
    i-B7zLK4f.

MONTE CARLO
    i-cRKRDKt.
    i-sHPQDwK.
    The one thing I hated about Monte Carlo was all the stairs.
    i-mNDNxk4.
    Walked the entire Formula 1 course, which was pretty cool. It's the same one found in the Playstation Gran Turismo game.
    i-5LGrLwt.
    Coming out of the long tunnel that runs beneath the Fairmont Hotel. This must be a trip for F1 drivers.
    i-fTVWmJg.
    Messing around with the manual clutch on my O12-40 at the train station.
    i-7q9WrnK.

• Like Like x 13
    • Winner Winner x 4
  3. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    VERNAZZA
    i-tPjhvts.
    i-K2wWTct.
    i-mnKgTrG.

VENICE
    i-NqBJTNd.
    i-29DG3mH.
    i-v8czVN9.
    i-fbWLw9s.
    i-tZjpLWN.
    i-ZbgbMx3.
    The shot below was taken on one of the nearby islands called Burano.
    i-JpXzHMq.

ROME
    i-6p2tdFm.
    Just a Tuesday night at 11pm, and this fountain was jam packed full of people!
    i-xzJ6tNF.
    i-RRWFD2R.
    i-F3NSMzp.
    i-xp9rWrV.
    i-QcFz4ST.
    i-fpZwxtV.

VATICAN CITY
    When your random Vatican City visit turns into mass the Pope. We honestly had no idea he'd be there. The 30k people waiting around gave it away though when we got there.
    i-4z6GTpV.
    i-kQvkNGM.
    i-qtrbsbf.

Gear used: 2x EM-5ii (one w/ the battery grip), O12-40 Pro, O40-150 Pro, PL15, PL42.5, MeFoto Roadtrip tripod. One camera was used with the Peak Deisgn Leash strap, and the other one was used with the BlackRapid RS-7 strap (mainly when I shot with the O40-150 Pro). I'd say I used the two Olympus Pro zooms about 95% of the time. Before the trip I thought I'd probably switch out to the primes go lighter occasionally, or just when the light was limited. At the end, that did not happen as I was perfectly content with the results I was getting from the zooms. Plus, the versatility on the move was so convenient. Was a dual camera setup too heavy? Honestly to me, it wasn't as I used to carry a FF Nikon D700+24-70 f2.8 lens on vacation. This mirrorleess setup was more manageable than that for me. I didn't have both cameras out at all times, just when I felt the occasion called for it for the instant versatility of having that 24-300mm equivalent focal length covered. Normally, I'd just have one camera out and the other in my bag with the other lens attached. It was more convenient (and faster) for me to stop down for a couple seconds to swap out a camera already ready to shoot compared to stopping down to change lenses. I still had to wait though for my friend who was constantly switching out lenses on his Nikon D810. lol Aside from the regular shots, I took a lot of panoramas, high-res mode shots (which is the main reason why I brought my tripod), and experimented with slow shutter shots. The IBIS helped a great deal w/ experimental slow shutters shots on the fly w/o having to bring out my tripod.

My biggest gripe from the trip, other than the countless selfie sticks, is there was quite a bit of construction going on in each city. Most of it I managed to just frame out, but I also did a little "clean-up" in Photoshop. Some things I wanted to photograph though had so much scaffolding around them that they were just an eye sore (like St. Mark's Basilica at the big plaza in Venice). I have quite a few pictures to sort through, but these ones quickly caught my eye as I was transferring them to my computer. Thanks for looking! :eek:

• Like Like x 27
    • Winner Winner x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. lightning

lightning Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    Kerava, Finland
    Very nice set!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Love the set. On my bucket list!

• Like Like x 1
  6. QualityBuiltIn

QualityBuiltIn Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    :bravo-009:
    That was some intense trip. Each of those destinations is worth the better part of a week. Great shots.

• Like Like x 1
  7. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Busy trip, good photos!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tenpenny

Tenpenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    Nampa, Idaho
    Brent Watkins
    wonderful pictures! Thanks for sharing them.

• Like Like x 1
  9. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    After having gone through it, I wouldn't recommend a trip like this. While it was a crazy experience, I feel like I missed out exploring a couple of the cities more like Venice and Rome. This trip was my friend & his gf's idea so I just rolled with it.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Stickee

Stickee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2016
    Toronto, ON
    These are amazing! Lots of different perspectives you don't typically see even though these places have been so heavily photographed.

11. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Great set of pics, really nice!

So you took 2 Pro zooms, the Nocticron and the 15mm. But you didn't use the primes much. If you had a UWA zoom like the Oly 7-14 f/2.8 Pro, would you have found much use for it? Would you do this trip again with those 3 Pro zooms and maybe 1 prime? Also, can you tell us what bag/setup you used to carry your photo gear, you seem to indicate you carried all each day.

12. Dragos101

Dragos101 Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Bucharest, Romania
    Dragos
    Lots of really good shots but the Mona Lisa one is exceptional

13. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    For sure, if I had that Oly 7-14 pro I probably would've used that (along w/ my 12-40 on a separate body) during those times walking through museums or interiors in general. I got by though on the wide angle side of things w/ just the 12-40. If I did this trip again, it would probably just be with the 2 Pro zooms. The one prime I'd consider still bringing along would be the Nocticron again since it can get unique looking shots given it's wide aperture. The bag I used was my a Think Tank Photo Urban Approach 15 backpack. It was much pricier than any backpack I've bought before it, but it hit all the check marks I was looking for. I figured though the backpack was something I'd use almost every time out so I opted to get a nicer one made for mirrorless. You can see my gear in the pic below (the PL15 is actually in the pocket that looks empty, it's just a small lens). I originally had a Lance Camera Strap on my body that usually had the smaller lens on it, but the anchors frayed! Luckily I was sitting down w/ the camera in hand when this happened so there was no damage done to the camera. Swapped it out for the Peak Design Leash I had on hand.
    [​IMG]

Another gear side note, this was the first trip I took w/o having my laptop on me to transfer/backup pictures off of the SD cards. It definitely lightened the load on my back since I have a 2012 15" MBP that has the older style unibody design. Instead, I used this Kingston Mobilelite G2 device in conjuction with a portable ssd drive. It allowed me to transfer all files off of my SD cards directly to the SSD drive. The only negative about this setup was that the device is only usb 2.0 so the transfer rate is kind of slow. There was a lot of time to kill on the train rides between towns and that's when I mainly did the file transfers/backup. On the plus side for this device, it has a 4600mAh battery capacity which was great to recharge my phone on the go. Also, it can create a wifi hotspot spot from via an ethernet plug, which was useful in some places I stayed at that only had wired internet. A very nifty device that is super light. I think a newer version of this device is out now too. Transferring high-res mode shots (ORF/ORI/JPG) in the picture below, which took a while since the files are so large.
    i-Lc3NJhG.

Here's a few more select shots from the trip. Thanks for looking! Can't believe I made it as the homepage featured thread! :eek:
    i-xK35Hwf.
    i-np5GHSp.
    i-JBCWGrb.
    i-85LdBpf.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Just want to say - fantastic.

15. mzzyhmd

mzzyhmd Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2015
    Muztaba
    Exceptionally beautiful!

16. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Bravo! Beautiful work. Sounds like a very interesting but also very tiring trip!

• Like Like x 1
  17. is1971de

is1971de Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 9, 2016
    London, UK
    Those are some stunning photos

18. Hazza

Hazza Just Clicking

Aug 10, 2013
    Huddersfield UK
    Harry
    Stunning shots is the only way to describe this thread.
    I have just got back from Cyprus and took along the EM1 with 12-40 and 40-150 pro lenses. I also took a 9mm BCL and the Panasonic 20mm 1.7 but these two never left the bag as I was more than happy with the pro zooms. I also had with me the 1.4 converter which did get used for a trip to the zoo :) I would say that around 70-80% of shots were taken with the 12-40 but would never leave behind the 40-150 as it is such a versatile combo.
    I would love to see more from your trip.

• Like Like x 1