12 and 14mm f1.0 patent

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DoofClenas, Feb 21, 2014.

1. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    wide angle bokeh may become reality for m43
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Meaning this honestly, what is the benefit of a fast prime for astro? Keeping the ISO down while keeping the stars bright? Shortening exposure times?

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app
  4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I don't know about astro, but for night shots, if you don't want star trails, you can't expose longer than a certain period, which means cranking up the ISO with slower lenses. I guess for astro, unless you have a tracking device, the same thing applies.
  5. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Mostly Exposure times. For Deep Sky, a tracking device is a given that you have. You want as low ISO as possible, but with long exposure times, there will still be a lot of noise. (hence why some have specially cooled sensors etc, but that is a different topic! :))

I'm not sure HOW much of a difference a couple of stops will make though. Clearly this lens will be much better stopped down, and a lot of astro people use image stacks (10s or 100s of pictures stacked) anyway.
  6. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Wow, neat. This would bring wide angle shallow DoF to m4/3 as Art pointed out, which is really cool.

I kind of shudder to think what the price point would look like though :biggrin:
  7. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    AF being able to shoot at 1 or 1.2 at weddings would be nice could bring down the ISO still have a nice look
    Would love it if they actually come out with it of course as long as quality wide open is good
  8. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Why another 12mm prime when we're still waiting for a 7 or 8mm? The lack of a UWA prime is, IMHO, a continuing hole in the u43 range.
  9. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    Oly will never make faster lenses than 1.8

Those patents are trying to refrain the competition. JMHO