1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

12-50mm OMD EM5 kit lens question - manual zoom ring turning past where it's supposed to?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ashvora, Nov 9, 2013.

1. ashvora

ashvora New to Mu-43

Nov 9, 2013
    Hi there-

I'm a newcomer to the micro four-thirds world - just recently purchased a refurbished EM5 with the 12-50mm kit lens. I've noticed that when the lens is engaged in manual zoom mode, the zoom ring can be turned continually past the 12mm or 50mm stop points - I get a slight bit of resistance at the 12mm or 50mm point, but am definitely able to keep turning the ring past that point. (This only happens in manual zoom mode, not in e-zoom.)

Is that normal? Or should I be concerned that there's something wrong with the lens?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

-ashvora

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This is normal. The external zoom ring is a 'fly-by-wire' design and is not mechanically coupled to the internal zoom mechanism (presumably to make sealing the lens easier and so it can double as the power zoom control). The 'stop' points are just there to give you some tactile feedback.

3. ashvora

ashvora New to Mu-43

Nov 9, 2013
    Thanks so much for the quick response! That's a relief! :smile:

4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I was partially wrong about the fly-by-wire design - there's some fancy physical gearing in there for manual zoom as I can operate the zoom and see the internal elements move with the lens unpowered and off-camera. It still can't have hard stops though as it needs to work in electronic-only mode for the power zoom.