12-50mm in Niagara Falls? Tips?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by bongestrella, Jul 30, 2012.

1. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Short version: would an em-5 + 12-50 be sealed enough to go through the Maid of the Mist and Cave of the Winds tours?

Long version: I'm going to Niagara falls this weekend and got the Discovery package (which will include the two tours already mentioned, plus a couple more). I probably will not get a 12-50 regardless for this trip due to time constraints but I was just wondering if the 12-50 would've been enough. I also have a waterproof panasonic ts3 so this isn't as critical.

Bonus: What is the best way to experience the Niagara Falls? I'll try to "limit" this question based on what the Discovery package offers. We'll probably be there around 7-8am and I was thinking of doing the Maid of the Mist and Cave of the Winds in the morning first: to hopefully avoid the crowd/lines, and more importantly, hotel check-in is at 11 AM anyway, so might as well get wet (soaked?) first then check-in and get changed to a more walk-around-y attire. Is this the way to go? Also, CoW first, then MoM? Or should I do the other way around? Anything else I should know?

Misc info: I will bring all my gear in my signature. As already mentioned, I will be there 7-8AM on Friday, will be there whole Friday, and will probably have more time Saturday morning, the I will have to go. Due to passport restrictions I will not be able to cross to Canada.
  2. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Slowly I turned,
    step by step,
    inch by inch,
  3. riverbum

riverbum Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 24, 2012
    Mt Olive, NJ
    Haha! It's been a while since I heard that.
  4. smartwombat

smartwombat Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2012
    Short version, yes.
    But the spray on the front element will make any photos beyond the first few blurred.
    The camera and lens will survive.
    I'm not sure if a coated UV filter will wipe clean enough for you to shoot after the first drenching.

Your lens selection is similar to mine in key focal lengths, I managed OK with zooms: Micro 4/3 with 7-14, 14-140, 45-200, 100-300
    And an XZ-1 which gave astonishingly good results ... as did the E-P1.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  5. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Well, supposedly the EM-5 is weather sealed enough to handle that type of water. That's what the advertising copy claims.

However, I took mine on a canoe trip two weekends ago, and got hit with several bouts of drenching rain. The camera survived, but a small amount of water must have penetrated and was causing me issues. I was getting SD card errors as well as power problems (reduced battery life, internal clock resetting whenever battery was removed). I sent it in to Olympus for repair this weekend.

I think both the battery door and SD card slot aren't sealed very tightly. They mostly work fine, but under very wet conditions they have a chance of failure. I was thrilled to think I could take my camera outside in the rain without worry, but my faith in it's ability to handle water has been broken.
  6. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I never about this but it sure makes a lot of sense, thanks! By the way, how much use was the 100-300 in Niagara?

Interesting, and very insightful. I guess it's a no go for me, even if I was able to get a 12-50 in two days. Thanks!

Anyone else? Tips?
  7. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I used the 9-18mm a little and the 40-150mm a lot during my trip to the Canadian side last year.

You will get wet on the MOM.
    E-PL1 with 40-150mm at 116mm, f10, 1/640 sec, ISO 200