1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

12-50mm E-M5 kit lens making clunking noise when off camera

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by garoth, Jun 7, 2012.

1. garoth

garoth New to Mu-43

Aug 24, 2011
    Hi there

I've just bought a slightly used OM-D with 12-50mm kit lens, and overall I'm very happy with it. However, I noticed that the kit lens, when turned upside-down and back again makes a clunking noise.

I know OIS lenses sometimes clunk when moved about, but this lens does not have OIS.

I happened to have another copy of the 12-50mm lens available, and it does not exhibit this noise, which is really the only reason I suspect an abnormality.

The lens works fine and performs well optically when connected to the camera.

Does anyone else with this lens hear this clunking noise? Reason to worry?

I've attached a recording of the noise - hopefully it's audible enough - might need some headphones.

Thanks for any tips

Attached Files:

2. duke777

duke777 New to Mu-43

May 28, 2012
    DE, USA
    Rich
    mine too if it is any consolation

3. garoth

garoth New to Mu-43

Aug 24, 2011
    haha thanks

Posted on e-group and dpreview regarding the issue and there are lots of others that notice it. Lens clunk in addition to sensor clunk when powering off =)

4. MichaelJC

MichaelJC Mu-43 Regular

It has linear drive focusing doesn't it? Same as my Sigma 30/2.8. That rattles too when it's not got power and you tip it back and forth. As I understand it, the focusing element is held in place and moved by electromagnets, so without power it rattles around a bit. No clue why you would hear it with one sample of the lens but not as you claim, with another.

5. garoth

garoth New to Mu-43

Aug 24, 2011
    Just double checked the other copy of the lens.

When I shift the other copy of the lens up and down, there is definitely something changing positions internally, but there is no pronounced 'clunk'

6. MichaelJC

MichaelJC Mu-43 Regular

I'll give mine the clunk test if I ever receive it :rolleyes:

7. tzargast

tzargast New to Mu-43

May 18, 2012
    Mine have that "clunking" sound if that's what you refer to.

8. Shade

Shade Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2012
    Hmm I never noticed that clunking noise, maybe I should testing mine later on..

9. daveinamblerpa

daveinamblerpa Mu-43 Regular

clunkin?

Yes, but very hard to hear and I have turn it over quick motion.

10. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Usually this comes from the EM5; the sensor is designed to float free, and when on is held in place by magnetism...when switched off the sensor will fall in the direction of gravity, and will clunk...changing the orientation of the camera will cause the sensor to fall again.

Did you try holding each lens on its own (without being attached to the camera) to see if the noise is coming from the lens or the camera? Try holding the camera on it's own (no lens attached) and switch the camera on and then off...do you hear the noise you describe?

I think it's either from the camera (normal) or the lens resetting (also nrmal). Why is one lens louder than the other? Maybe one of the parts are different, or different firmware. Maybe the lens was in a different focus position thereby making more noise to park it. Digital cameras and lenses make noises. Normal. Relax and enjoy.

11. garoth

garoth New to Mu-43

Aug 24, 2011
    Definitely coming from the lens. The sensor also clunks when powering off as well. I've decided to relax since others have noticed the noise too.