12-50: Which adapter for copying slides?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Pecos, Nov 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I picked up a 12-50 recently to copy some old slides, as several have mentioned doing. I got the Polaroid Adapter, which functions well, but I am unable to fill the frame with the 35mm slide - I think the distance from screw-on lens adapter to the slide holder is a bit too much.

I end up cropping the image resulting in only10 megapixels. I think this is enough to capture the vast majority of the detail of these old slides, few of which are really good - those were scanned years ago; but I want to image and save the rest for sentimental reasons.

The corners aren't acceptable with the 12-50 until I go to about f/11, but that's where the center begins to deteriorate.
    So two questions:
    1. Have any of you who've done this used the Polaroid adapter? Would I be better ditching it for the Nikon (unavailable when I ordered).
    2. Would you recommend just getting the 60mm macro? I know it's a better lens, no question. Would it fill the frame while using the Polaroid adapter, or should I get the Nikon?
    It is a pretty versatile lens, all things considered.
    Thanks for any input.

2. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    I use the nikon with the 4:3 35mm macro. A perfect fit. The 12-50 is a macro at 43mm so extension might make it worse but you might try extension with the lens in normal mode zoomed to ~35mm or wider. Or try another lens with extension.

3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

The 12-50 is good for moderate closeup but not so great for flat field reproduction...

4. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    I can't comment on the Polaroid slide copier, but I use the Nikon ES-1 adapter. I posted earlier about using it with an old Nikon 55mm/3.5 macro lens. I've since switched to using an Olympus 60mm/2.8 lens so I can autofocus on the slides. The ES-1 was designed to fit on a 52mm filter ring, and the Oly 60 has a 46mm filter ring, so I use a 46-to-52mm step-up ring on the lens. To compensate for the Micro Four Thirds crop factor, I push the ES-1 out with two filter extensions, each 28mm deep. I haven't noticed any problem with field flatness using either the Nikon or the Olympus.

5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

Before you go and blow even more money on a macro lens and more adapters, how about a reasonably priced scanner with a slide holder?

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/ProductCategory.do?UseCookie=yes&oid=-16223

V370 or v550 should both work well for slides. With a scanner, you'll get even lighting, framing and sharpness with little guesswork involved. Usually you get software to help with the conversion, too.

Also have a refurb outlet if you like those kind of deals: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/BuyEpson/ccProductCategory.jsp?UseCookie=yes&oid=-13268

6. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Using a macro lens to copy slides will be faster, however a scanner generally gives 'better' results.

I have both setups, an enlarging lens on a macro bellows with slide holder and a dedicated film scanner. If you're interested in a macro lens the Olympus OM 50mm f3.5 is generally below $50 for a multicoated version, it's almost universally sharp due to a modest optical design and good coating.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I'm a bit disappointed in the 12-50, though others like it fine for noncritical work. I may get a used 60mm macro and keep it if I like it, sell it otherwise. And the ES-1 sounds like it may work better than the Polaroid, as it has variable distance from lens to slide.
    So here are 5 shots taken w/varying apertures: f/6, 8, 11, 16, 22 of the same slide. Looks like the edges are pretty awful until f/11, when they're just bad, f/16 not too bad overall, f/22 the center blurs
    OMD80360.jpg

OMD80361.jpg

OMD80362.jpg

OMD80363.jpg

OMD80364.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.