12-50 vs 14-42 II R, same range,how is it?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tempoct, Mar 24, 2012.

1. tempoct

tempoct New to Mu-43

Feb 23, 2012
    Anyone owns both lens? How both lens compares in the SAME focal length? 14-42? Test results of 12-50 turns out not bad but there's no direct comparison in the review, e.g. most MTF chart for 12-50 are shown at 12 and 50 but not 14 and 42. At mid range (25-28ish) the new lens seem to outperform the old lens.
    I'm ordering an E-M5 kit and thinking that should I order with the 12-50 or not. I initially dismiss the lens due to its slowness but now have a second thought. If I put my lust for m43 version of 12-60 or 12-35X aside, the 12-50 doesn't sound so bad. It's like the 14-42 with built-in wide, macro and tele adapter. If the IQ are comparable, it's not bad when you get the kit price.

2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

The 12-50 is a very versatile lens as you point out and is only $300 with the E-M5 kit so worth buying in my opinion.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Going by the reviews of the 14-42 and 12-50 at lens tip, and compensating for the fact that the E-P1 where the 14-42 was tested yields less resolution, the 12-50 is actually worse than 14-42 in the shared range.

This has been borne out in the samples I've seen. OTOH, it's a nicer range, and the macro ability and weather-sealing are helpful. If IQ were important though, I'd go for the older lens.

DH

4. tempoct

tempoct New to Mu-43

Feb 23, 2012
    Well, I just hope that the new just (at least) equal on the same range. The lenstip test the new lens on E-PL1 which always sharper than the E-P1 which they test the old lens. Hope that someone who owns both can do simple side-by-side comparison, or at least some experience.

5. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    I think there is something up with the beta testers. I think Olympus aren't allowing direct comparisons or even allowing it to be used on PEN bodies for image release to the public yet.

I haven't seen any reviews of the lens on a PEN body and very few if any direct comparison of the lens to the current kit lens or to the other Olympus or Panasonic primes. I would really like to see how it performs on the 12mm (oly) end, 20mm (pana) and 45mm (oly). Obviously won't be as good but really curious so how much of a drop in performance there is.

6. tempoct

tempoct New to Mu-43

Feb 23, 2012
    Well, I guess most reviews are done with E-M5 coz the reviewers got them in the kit. Here's one review with E-PL1 body

Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 12-50 mm f/3.5-6.3 ED EZ review - Introduction - Lenstip.com

But I agree with you that there's no direct comparison to other m43 lens. This is why I start this thread hoping someone can show us the pictures :)

7. Kees

Kees Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Kees Dignum