12-50 used questions.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by a_hit_of_meth, Aug 19, 2014.

1. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    I'm looking to get a 12-50 used to pair up with my recently purchased e-m5. I don't have any experience with any electronic lens which is why I'm wondering if it's possible to manually move the zoom while it's not connected to a camera, to better inspect the inside elements for dust and mold. Also, is there anything i should know about the buttons or zoom ring positioning that may indicate a problem with the gears or the like?
  2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Even though it has a power zoom mode it does have a mechanical linkage when switched to manual zoom mode. This is a physical switch so it works even if it's disconnected. You can then zoom the lens without power.
    Just be aware that this lens does not have a very nice manual zoom action - if it feels 'gritty' and not smooth, that's normal for this lens.

If you can go and inspect it, why not take your camera body along and ask to try it out?
  3. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    Yeah, i noticed that once briefly when I was testing the demo and thought that it was a damaged unit. From what I've read there are three settings for this lens, does that somehow increase the risk of damage for these lenses, are there any known issues with the mechanism because of it?
    I'll be testing it with my camera body but I need to get a look into the rear for a better view of the inner elements.

I've also gone through a thread on dpr where posters alluded to several version or release version of this lens?

EDIT: Btw, what's the average pricing for these in the used market? I've seen them range from 1000hkd to 1800hkd which is over 100usd difference.