12-50 on bodies other than OMD

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by a_hit_of_meth, Aug 28, 2014.

1. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    The 12-50 was meant to be used with the larger OMD's and it seems fine based on my tests with the em5 and em1 that I tried on display. I'm just wondering if anyone who has used this weird shaped lens with the smaller pen bodies like the EPL's or ep's as well as pana bodies, has any comments regarding any unusual or awkward handling compared to other lenses?
  2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I found the 12-50 a bit too long on my E-PL1... then again I felt it was a bit odd sized for kit lens on the OMD E-M5 too. Certainly a very flexible-use lens with a lot of features but it just ended up collecting dust because it wasn't compact enough nor delivered the feature/IQ I needed to justify the size. Quality wise... its ok.

I ended up selling mine for the Olympus 14-42EZ. E-PL1 + 14-42EZ combination kinda reminds me of the days with I shot with a Canon Powershot G.
  3. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    I use the 12-50 on a Panasonic G5, and it works great. The slow aperture really needs the IBIS of an OMD to allow the lens to be useful in low light... Function button isn't programmable on Panasonic bodies, either. Otherwise, its nice budget daytime one lens solution with more range than a 14-42 (plus macro).
  4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    I got the 12-50 for my E-P5 to replace my kit lens, I like that little extra on both ends and macro. I mainly use a small prime (had the 14 2.5 and now the 17 1.8) so I don't use it a lot but when I do I think it's fine. Of course the E-P# bodies are larger than the E-PL# or E-PM#, though the new E-PL7 is closer.